CB500 not starting

My CB500 let me down this morning. Started OK, rode about 500 yards before it just ground to a halt (no power, and as soon as I stopped it stalled). Cranked it for ages, it fires very slightly with choke but not enough to run. It's a brand new fully charged battery, serviced a couple of hundred miles back, and yes - there is petrol in it. Any advice on what might be up? I'd really like to get to work tomorrow on it.

Thanks

Reply to
Matt

Matt wrote

Blocked petrol tank air vent?

Reply to
mike

uk.rec.motorcycles.classic may be informative.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

On or around Thu, 12 Jan 2006 21:42:07 +0000, Chris Bacon enlightened us thusly:

I assume you have petrol in it?

vacuum petrol tap not opening?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , Matt writes

uk.rec.motorcycles

Failing that - did you actually turn the fuel tap on? Failing that, is the vacuum hose to the automatic fuel tap kinked, perished etc.

But most of all - try the appropriate group. Someone

Reply to
somebody

potato in the exhaust. broken cam chain

Reply to
mrcheerful

somebody wrote

If you think uk.rec.motorcyles is the place to go for a bit of help, you haven't been there.

And the maniacs are liable to pursue you right back here.

BTDT

Reply to
mike

I've always found them quite friendly when other newsgroups I read have "invaded" ukrm

But I don't think I would ask basic mechanical questions there, no. They all seem to be obsessed comparing the size of their exhausts and where the best places are to go a-pillaging (or where to get a good hot pie).

I think we should set Drivel on them.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Owain wrote

Could be, but I spoke from actual experience; I *am* a motorcyclist, I've had no other transport for about 40 years, and I *did* seek a bit of advice there.

Never again.

Reply to
mike

Or stretched. It's a bloody long one on that. But the timing would go out slowly with that problem.

It could be anything from water or sugar in the petrol to a duff rectifier. It's pretty old and so, I take it, is the alternator. How old is the bike and what parts are recent?

Is the battery still able to provide lighting?

Have you replaced the HT leads? IIRC the shielding on them can short. This usually means a new coil and all sorts as they are -or were, a unit from there down. How old is that and what colour spark are you getting?

That just leaves the condenser. I believe they have two. That can't be right can it? It's been decades since I had one and my memory was never that good.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

New trick around here is coca cola not sugar. Does wonders for the carb and fuel lines. Takes boiling water to dissolve

Reply to
sploop