carpet underlay

Hi,

I've ripped-up the old carpet and underlay on the stairs. I was hoping to fit new underlay before the carpet fitter comes. The thing is, we have some 11mm underlay left over from when we decorated the bedroom. Can I use this? What has puzzled me is that this is much taller than the grips. Do I need to either raise the grips, or use thinner underlay, or will the carpet grip fine even with the thicker underlay? It gripped fine in the bedroom but I'm just being extra safety conscious with it being on the stairs this time.

TIA

Reply to
Fred