Carbon Monoxide Detector

Our First Alert CO Detector (model FACORS-UK) is beeping so it's time to either get a new one or replace the detector/battery cartridge.

Anyone got any ideas on a similar detector at a lower price, a better detector at a simliar price or a source of a cheap refill cartridge?

Homebase. £5.99 credit card sized. Lasts for one year

Anna ~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

=A35.99 ONE IS A CO PATCH ONLY; useful for Coroners, to confirm cause of death! It just changes colour, but gives no audible alarm. B& Q have good range of electronic CO alarms.

Argos:

Gel

"Gel" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Looks interesting - thanks.

Whatis it that you are trying to monitor?

Invariably when I see these they are installed along side room sealed boilers, where the possibility of serious amounts of CO entering the room is very remote indeed.

They should only ever be used along open flued appliances or flueless appliances. They are not, absolutely not, a substitute for regular and conscientious maintenance.

The spot cards get dark without CO over time the electronic ones have a limited life.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Ed Sirett wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@makewrite.demon.co.uk:

In the same room as a Baxi Bermuda 'fireback' boiler. Not trying to cut down on maintenance, just trying to head off anything nasty (fatal?) if there's a 'problem'.

Limited life on Kidde is 5 years as per Guarantee; which is 5 times longer than patch! One at Argos {New cat from yesterday} has benefit of digital display too, at same price as B&Q's without!

Absolutely not a substitute for servicing; but in my experience gas cooker grills regular cause.

Few people have this appliance serviced; even tenants who have landlords appliances checked by Corgi engineer annually {in UK}. Cooker in 95% of cases is not owned by landlord except HMO type dwellings.

HSE research into long term reliability* of CO alarms found Kidde [then also called Nighthawk on some models] & 1 other make, hard to find at retail, were ONLY ones reliable.

*Majority [using cheap co sensor cells] drift off specification after year or so, so don't respond as they are meant to, giving people false sense of security.
Reply to
Gel

With regard to boiler servicing, does it make any difference when in the year you service it? What I mean is is there any benefit to having it serviced in the autumn just before you start using it heavily or the spring, just after you do?

Something I seriously need to sort out as ours hasn't been done since we moved into this house two years ago.

al

You may well get a better price quoted in springtime, when most householders have switched off central heating!

Reply to
Gel

"Gel" wrote | Absolutely not a substitute for servicing; but in my experience gas | cooker grills regular cause. | Few people have this appliance serviced; even tenants who have | landlords appliances checked by Corgi engineer annually {in UK}. | Cooker in 95% of cases is not owned by landlord except HMO | type dwellings.

AIUI *all* gas appliances in rented property must have a 'Landlord's' certificate and there is a space on the form to indicate who owns the appliance.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Some landlords forbid tenants having own gas appliances, but some do I can assure you, even portable calor type heaters

Reply to
Gel

Indeed. I would however dispute the 95% not owned by Landlord, in the sector I am familiar with which is shorthold lets (generally 6months to a few years) I would say the proportion is 95% owned by the landlord.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Friend of mine has one above his propane blacksmithing forge. Re-arranging the extractor hood made a huge difference to the CO levels where we were standing, as does the wind direction on the extractor vent.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yes, I've rented a few houses in my time and knew of loads of others. I've never seen one that came without a cooker or fridge, although luck dictates if you get a washing machine or freezer and I never came across a dishwasher or tumble dryer that wasn't tenant owned.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Dishwashers would come with the flat for the top of the market. I.e 3 bed mansion flats in St. John Wood. with 'corporate' tenants.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I had a house share in Swindon that came with a dishwasher...

cheers, Pete

Reply to
Pete C

I ...had a farm ...in Africa