Car insurance costs bucking the trend.

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 11:24:54 +0000, Huge wrote:

I suspect it'll follow on from the "Do they have a full UK licence?" question.

Don't they still come up on a CRB check?

--
bert

writes

What's that got to do with car insurance?
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
On Sunday 22 December 2013 23:11 Adrian wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Oh...
However it will not make much difference to thinks I suspect:
IME my current insirance renewal is always beated (by a long way) by another company - every time. Even the current company are unwilling to match it. I usually change insurers every 2 years so that's probably why my premiums got hiked so as to make such a difference. From this year, all my details are on ComapreTheMarket so that will get replayed every year from now on!

So why would you not change it *every* year, then...?!
--
David

On Tuesday 24 December 2013 11:28 Lobster wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Only because it was a faff. Now it's easier since I collected all the data together in one place - so from now on, it's yearly!

On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 23:46:58 +0000, alan wrote:

Pass the tin foil hat, somebody.
snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) grunted in wrote:

Actually I wonder whether that's already operating... I recently checked the screenscraper sites looking for an improvement on Admiral's renewal quote for my daughter. She was able to better it by about 60%, but interestingly, among the bunch of companies listed at the bottom of the list of quotes, under "we were unable to obtain a quote from the following companies" (which is usually all about the age of the proposer etc), was indeed... Admiral.
Furthermore, when she phoned Admiral to cancel the renewal, they didn't even bother asking about trying to better the competitor's quote. Also, they'd insisted on setting up an annual direct debit at the outset of the original policy rather than just a one-off payment; so I can only assume that auto-renewal following a low first-year premium is the basis of their business model.

It's the basis of almost all insurers these days.

If you have to include this irrelevant, misleading and factually incorrect cack, can you at least configure your software so that it uses a correct sig seperator "-- <newline>".
--
Today is Pungenday, the 66th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3179
Human being; a spacesuit for a fish
On 22/12/2013 10:36, stuart noble wrote:

Just checked again how much it'd cost me to insure a few different small cars; cheapest quote I had was just over £2000. I've had my driving licence for around 9 months now but still can't afford to run a car - well not without being broke all the time. The good thing is, I have access to a company car which I do use weekly so I still get practice.
--
Dawood

On 22/12/2013 20:24, gremlin_95 wrote:

When you next ask for a quote be sure to tell them this. You might even be able to get a letter from the fleet manager saying that you haven't crashed it.
Andy
On 22/12/2013 23:03, Vir Campestris wrote:

Thanks, sounds like a good idea. I do tick the box which confirms I have access to a company vehicle.
--
Dawood

On 22/12/2013 20:24 gremlin_95 wrote:

Try it again but add a parent (adult?) with a clean licence as a second driver (NOT as the main driver!) and see what happens to the premium.

On 23/12/2013 00:49, F wrote:

I should say that £2000 was with my parents on it who both have clean licences, without them on it the premium nearly doubles! :(
--
Dawood

On 22/12/2013 00:57, Reentrant wrote:

Sorry - I meant "Moneybox" http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03m3j72 about 15:12 in. An AA spokesman said premiums have fallen by about 12%, partly because of the "gender neutral" rule that came in a year ago (if you're male, anyway), but also due to a fall in staged accidents and false whiplash payouts.
--
Reentrant

Apart fromt he car getting older. I think they are desperate to keep customers that don't make claims. I bet you haven't made a claim in years. They can trace your claim history back a long time now, it is all pooled centrally.
The cost of claims these days is astronomical with all the administrative add ons. So if they can get people that don't claim, it's just a case of rake the cash in. Apart from accidents, many claims are down to carelessness by the owner.

Most accidents too. Having your own accident is usually carelessness. Good driving is about avoiding being involved in other peoples' accidents.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 22/12/2013 08:34, harryagain wrote:

No such thing as accidents these days, only collisions. ;-)
I say this only partly tongue in cheek. A couple of years ago our county (Wilts) were running a "driver improvement campaign", which my employer arranged to have visit our site. It was essentially a 1 hour presentation where retired policemen, firemen and do gooders showed pictures of horrific accidents and said "Don't drive too fast", "Don't drink and drive", "Don't drive when tired" and "Don't try and impress you mates when you are only 17 years old"
The only thing I learnt from the presentation is that the term "Road Traffic Accident" has now been superseded by "Road Traffic Collision" as there is no such thing as an accident.
--
Chris

writes

Unless it's waiting to happen.
--
bert

On 21/12/2013 21:27, Bob Minchin wrote:

I understand there are three factors coming in to play at present:
(1) New EU equality laws force premiums for females to be the same as those for males. Since males have more accidents on average, this makes premiums come down especially for young males.
(2) The authorities are starting to get to grips with the rash of false claims for whiplash injuries and the like.
(3) There has in recent years been a substantial minority of drivers with no insurance at all: the use of number-plate recognition systems by the police has made it harder to carry that off without detection. Mind you the fines for driving without insurance are often lower than the cost of insurance, if you are a young, reckless male driver, so I gather that isn't always as effective as it might be.
--
Clive Page