Car headlamp bulb

If I could be absolutely certain places like Halfords would do the job correctly I might use them. However, my experience of such places says if there are corners to be cut they'll do it.

If you do have a car where changing a bulb ain't straightforward, chances are a bit of Googling will give you chapter and verse on how to.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So Halfords employ only those with small hands?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Search me. I take the car to the dealer.

Reply to
Tim Streater

No. There's probably a 'trick of the trade' which makes things easy - but entails beginning at the rear bumper, and working forwards.

Not only is this the sort of thing Halfords are likely to know about but, more importantly, they will also know which end of the rear bumper to start at.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

If it were BMW dealer, they'd probably expect you to be happy baying for a new headlamp unit when the bulb failed. And only supply them in pairs. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wish I had your confidence in the likes of Halfords. When I've asked them a question, the only answer would come from their website. Which I'd already checked.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Never forget that as a DIY-er, you're generally doing things for the first time and it's already broken ...

Reply to
Huge

I've just had a brake light bulb replaced by a very efficient young LADY at Halfords. Turns out it wasn't the one it was supposed to be from the list, so that's one lot of effing and blinding I've saved myself.

Reply to
stuart noble

Yep :-)

Reply to
RJH

At my local they do these minor fittings in the car park - even if dark/raining. I haven't quite had the inclination to watch, but it does look pretty thankless.

For people with busy lives especially, though, as I say, good value. Took me about an hour to change a Ka headlight bulb recently, but part of that was fashioning a tool to get in there.

Reply to
RJH

From what little I've seen/know, they have articulated tools that seem to hold and twist. And yes, much as the old days of BL production lines, they tend to match the worker to the job.

Reply to
RJH

How long did it take - compared to DIY? Assuming you had spare bulbs - as everyone should have?

On the odd occasion I visit my local Halfords there always seems to be someone having this sort of job done, so it would involve a wait.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If I'd had spare bulbs as per the official list, they would have been the wrong ones. I remember trying to fit the "official" brake light. I eventually got the thing in the holder but the wrong filament (of two) was activated. Similar experiences with wiper blades...... I don't touch cars any more

Reply to
stuart noble

They don't do it for free or for fun. You need to get a quote as the price is "FROM £6.99" and WILL be a lot more for the ones that need the car taking apart.

Peter Hill

You're saying a maker's spare doesn't fit?

I've only ever seen one type of bulb for twin filament stop/tail. I suppose it is possible to force it in the wrong way round. Generally. you'd check the replacement looks the same as the original.

Think that's wise. But why are you reading a DIY group? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you try hard enough, it's definitely _possible_, despite the pins being offset to make it much more difficult.

Reply to
Adrian

There are two types. One has the bayonet pins offset by distance from base, and the other is offset by angle (not 180 degrees apart). If you don't realise this, it's often possible to force the wrong one into the wrong socket, which probably won't work at best, and I've seen it blow a fuse.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Right - the only angle offset type I've come across were amber coloured for indicators. So you couldn't fit a plain one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Stop/tail dual filament type is R566. (Cap designation is BAZ15D.)

I've come across them on a VW, but a search quickly reveals some Mercs and Fords use them too.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I do touch other things :-)

Reply to