Car bag-dehumidifier

Do the de-humidifier bags that sit on a car dashboard work? Do you have to dry them out regularly? OR what?

Reply to
Jim S

I have one that goes pink when it's absorbed a lot of water. You then have to dry it out on a radiator. I've managed to persuade myself that it does work, since it is silica gel, and how can it not, up to a point? I do think that my windows are not so misty as (for example) the ones in the missus' car in the morning. But, to be honest, you never really know. Some of them have good reviews, so I can't be the only deluded one :-) I can only say it's a good job they're so cheap.

In case you think I'm dead mean for not getting the missus one, she has a Volvo with an air blast that can clear a windscreen in about three seconds.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Thanks for that. I guessed that they weren't a wormhole to send the moisture to another dimension. :-) I live in the North East and already had problems and it's only just October. However I have had my air-con re-pressurised since last winter and will see whether it does the job it used to do. The ones I looked it on Amazon were neither small nor cheap.

Reply to
Jim S

I think we're at the wrong end of that wormhole :-)

I'm in the NW - cold and damp this morning.

The ones I see on Amazon today all seem to be 1 kilo bags. Mine is much smaller. Perhaps they've learned that they need to be bigger to be effective?

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Good idea to also check the cabin filter isn't clogged or, on some models, soaking wet...

Reply to
Lee

Also check for any water inside the car which shouldn't be, such as a puddle in a footwell (or wet carpet/sound proofing). A clear cold sky will cause that to migrate to the windscreen and roof as condensation.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Pointless

Reply to
tabbypurr

My Astra F developed a gradual failure of the mastic seal on the join between side sections and roof panel, under the roof bars.

A gradual weapage of water went down the A pillar during heavy rain and down under the carpet. I could smell the problem but it was at least a year before the passenger footwell actually showed signs of a puddle.

Reply to
Andrew

I too had by AC serviced at the beginning of summer and only then did I realise how far the performance of the AC had dropped. It was a joy to drive in hot summer days :)

With my car selecting the 'direct air to the windscreen' position automatically selects the AC to dry the air before heating it (assuming heat is selected). The AC indicator light doesn't illuminate in this mode

Reply to
alan_m