Capacity of various Duracell AA cells?

William P.N. Smith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Since the early seventies, probably earlier, there were two kinds of battery that a consumer would see for either a dry cell or an alkaline: Long Life, and High Power. So if you use a single value for capacity per battery type, and it is printed honstly on the appropriately named battery, people will know that this figure applies if they use the battery appropriately.

There are two points that could be confusing:

  1. Mixing up the battery types.
  2. Demands that are some way between both types.

There's not much you can do about the first, when people fail to understand the difference, telling them more data won't help, but telling them less is disrespectful.

The second case is the tougher one, and there the single value won't be enough, but you can refer people to a makers graph of lifetime for average current drawn per life, one graph per battery type (Both graphs printed on cardboard packaging for both types). They can put both plots together and make their own choice. The point where the plotted lines cross is the set of conditions for which both batteries are equal to the task. This idea is simple enough to grasp by intuition, and also highly informative if you look at the values for capacity and drawn current.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Nice summing up of what's happened to Maplin there. >:) It's a sad crime what's been done to that firm.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

|Dave Fawthrop wrote: |>Roy Lewallen wrote: |>|You can be sure that if manufacturers were pressed to come up with a |>|single number for alkaline cell capacity | |>|The resulting numbers |>|would be totally useless. |>

|>Not IMI totally useless, just limited. | |But limited to uselessness for most consumers.

Who would not understand the Data sheets anyway.

|A single number won't |tell you if a particular battery is better suited for years of life in |a digital clock or more pictures in a digital camera. Batteries |optimized for one scenario would be awful in the other.

Already sussed that one. Alkalines for long life NiMh for power applications

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I believe that some two years ago Practical Sailor magazine did an AA alkaline comparison test using hand held VHF transreceiver and Duracell Copper top came out best with Panasonic better than Eveready.

Reply to
rqlhgl

Absolutely. The zinc-air PP3's despite costing an arm and leg and theoretically offering a higher mAh than alkalines are useless for low current applications such as smoke alarms.

Reply to
Matt

The message from Matt contains these words:

The local fire brigade in association with the local council gave away loads of smoke alarms with "10 year" lithium PP3s fitted. About three years later the batteries are dying. This wouldn't matter except that there's a pop-rivetted retainer over the battery so you "can't" replace it.

Reply to
Guy King

They don't yet have a long enough life. The Micron UHF types I use just about get through half a day (5 hours) on one PP3 alkaline. Anything less would be unacceptable.

Then there's the problem of recharging perhaps some 50 PP3s per day across the units.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've noted time between replacing batteries in a couple of appliances. Duracell were best but not by enough to justify the prices in British shops. Maplin were very poor. GP cells were close to Duracell at a fraction of the price. Appliances were Palm 3, and a sony CD/Radio alarm.

BTW, have other Brits noticed how the supermarkets tend to sell the most expensive Duracells? When Duracell Plus were the top of the range those were stocked, now they only stock the Ultra M3 range. What happened to consumer choice?

Reply to
Jim Backus

|BTW, have other Brits noticed how the supermarkets tend to sell the |most expensive Duracells? When Duracell Plus were the top of the range |those were stocked, now they only stock the Ultra M3 range. What |happened to consumer choice?

We go to Lidl, Where they have cheap own brand Alkalines

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

urers state the Ampere hour capacity on each

Sainsbury's regularly do a 50% extra free on standarad Duracells. 12 for about £4. That's cheaper than the market stalls.

john2

Reply to
john2

In trade magazines Duracell advertises to retailers: selling expensive batteries is more turnover and more profit for you.

Thus, Duracell's key selling point is _high_ price. Not for the consumer, but for the retailer.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

Not always. For radio microphones, you need higher charge density than rechargables provide. It really sucks to have your wireless microphone crap out partway through act two. Another problem is that the discharge curve is very steep, so the thing goes from working fine to dead in a very short time, not giving you the opportunity to go do an emergency battery replacement before it dies. The memory effect in nicads is a problem, even though it is a far smaller issue than it was years ago. keeping track of aging rechargeables is an administrative hassle, consuming valuable time when time is at a premium. If you are in a touring environment, finding a place where you can plug in the chargers when everything is packed on a truck driving to the next site is a tad difficult. Other people on the tour are constantly taking batteries to power their personal electronics. With partly used alkalines, this is no problem, with rechargables, this gets expensive fast, and leaves you short of charged up batteries at the start of the show. When you are buying by the flat of 576 batteries, they are a lot less expensive than buying them at the convenience store. ( Anyone know why batteries come in a box of 576? I've always wondered. )

--Dale

Reply to
Dale Farmer

Guy King typed

Problem is their criteria for assessment seldom match mine. Anyone can have an opinion; so what!

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Dale Farmer typed

Four gross at a guess. 4*12*12

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Just a note about AAA cells. (I know this is AA an discussion). If you are ever in dire need of some AAA cells, and have a 9V laying around, you can usually pry the thing apart to reveal 6 AAA in series inside. Depending on brand, you can use them as-is, or you might have to insulate them individually around the outside.

Reply to
Long Ranger

PowerStream has some discharge curves for the Coppertop and Radio Shack Enercell Plus. Check out

current and low current designs are different.

Best regards mark

Reply to
PowerStream

These look like AAAs, but they are even smaller

The AAA size is 10.5 mm in diameter and 44.5 mm long.

The AAAA is 8.5 mm in diameter and 40.5 mm long

The ones they use in 9 volt batteries is 7.5 mm in diameter and 40.5 mm long. So this could probably be called a AAAAA cell.

They are cute.

For more information on cell sizes seel

the way, some of these 9 volt batteries are made using oblong coin cells instead of cylindrical cells.

Best regards mark

Reply to
PowerStream

The message from "PowerStream" contains these words:

They used to all be like that a few decades ago.

Reply to
Guy King

Yup. In my *really* cheap days I used to break off the tops of Duracell PP3s to use as battery connectors - they're rather stronger than those flexy plastic ones Maplin etc sell.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yeah, I guess so, but they have worked for me in a pinch.

Reply to
Long Ranger