Load testing nimh AA cells

Having a fairly mixed boxfull of NiMH AA cells, acquired over the years, I find that some of them aren't holding full charge, which is annoying. I'm looking for a method to quickly and simply load test them to determine which are good and bad. Any ideas?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Charge them then discharge via a resistor noting time taken to reach say

0.8 volts?
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Charge them and test each ones voltage, the older they get the less they hold, i used to do this for Nicads just after they got off a charger, for an auto charger i would think you want to measure them at the same time after the charge stops, try it and see.

Reply to
ransley

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)" saying something like:

Ahah. I've found a page that describes how to do just that. I saw some of the cheapy battery meters on ebay, but thought they were nothing more than simple voltmeters.

Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember ransley saying something like:

There have been some weird voltages, all over the place, when they come off charge. Some up to 1.85V, but mostly around 1.65 or so. The so-called 'smart' charger gets them hot enough to not be able to pick them up, so I've given up using that. I've several dumb but kinder slow chargers, so will use them instead.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon