Using flexible connector to connect toilet to outlet pipe which is not directly behind toilet?

In our downstairs cloakroom we've got an old style S-trap two piece toilet (which has a rather unattractive plastic cistern).

the base has cracked and is leaking. I would like to replace the whole thing with something more modern. However the actual waste outlet pipe is not directly behind the toilet but is at approx 45 degrees as you can see in this picture.
I replace it with something more modern like we have upstairs, ie
I be able to connect the waste from the toilet to the outlet pipe using a flexible connector or would it be possible to connect it using a solid pipe? I don't particularly mind if it doesn't look great as I'll probably box it in. Is there a danger that the flexible connector will smell as it's concertina structure means some waste will stay in the pipe? What's the maximum length connector pipe you can get? Any advice appreciated?

Reply to
johnboy

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 13:13:37 -0700, johnboy wibbled:

Your physical setup looks rather like mine, in that the waste comes up in the corner:

see that white adaptor on the back of the bog? It took a bit of finding, but IIRC, they did a male version too, that could be cut down (shortened) and would plug straight into the rising elbow.

I'm not sure if that would be a short enough arrangment to avoid pushing your loo over to one side too far - but if you imagine the white bit plugging into the grey bit more or less just where the white bit bends, that's probably the best you could achieve with that solution.

It would also push your new loo forward - but just enough to clear the potential boxing in round the back if that were not a problem.

Nice thing with my parts is that it's 110mm all the way to the bog spigot so less chance of blockages.

Now - onto flexibles... If you hunt around google for "pan connector" there are dozens of variations, many being flexible types with the possibility to combine fixed and flexible to meet your needs.

eg:

feeling is that preformed will give you tighter bends, so you might be able to do something with:

might be an option too:

with a 90 degree down bend.

The above looks long but will withstand shortening, at least on one like it I had where the rubb fins could be slid along and the pipe cut back.

As for smells: no - the u trap in the loo will sort that out (the pipe is lined with turds at the best of times anyway, especially old iron pipes). But, I do wonder if they are more prone to blockages or not?...

HTH

Reply to
Tim Watts

The U trap will stop gases coming up the pipe, but I assumed the OP was talking about odours permeating through the pipe wall. This is not something I'd dismiss out of hand - it's a well-known problem on boat toilets, for instance, which use flexible hose all the way. The consensus there is to avoid cheap thin-walled hose, always pump everything right through so none lays in the pipe, and expect to replace the hose eventually anyway.

I have no experience of the flexible domestic connectors so I don't know if the issue applies there or not.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Would a corner lav be possible?

eg

Owain

As well as that given by others, also look at swivel pan connectors.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q