Can anyone identify this resistor?

They are indeed.
and of course every manufacturer uses the SAME diameter of

They don’t vary enough to matter when all you want is some idea of the scale. Even just those end caps show that its not a 1/4W resistor.

I meant the wire diameter, not its length.
On Tuesday, 10 July 2018 20:06:52 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

the

the

be in the

The photo doesn't but in the text is states the resistor is 11mm. My 1/4 W resistors are about 6mm long and 2mm in diameter.
The 3W resistor I quoted was 16mm long, so I'm guess it was about 1-2 watts in it;s original form.
On Wednesday, 11 July 2018 11:25:40 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

ht the

it the

l be in the

is

ts in it;s original form.
agree. I'd fit a 5 watter.
NT
On 11/07/2018 11:25, whisky-dave wrote:

Thanks to all who responded. That's my guess as well, I think the initial digit "1" on the PCB might have been to denote this as a 1 watt resistor, and the 4.7 the resistance in ohms. I didn't recognise the original appearance because I guess the colour bands had burned off, and I'd never seen a naked resistor before. It's a surprise how long one can live before this happens. :-)
--
Clive Page

Why not send a close up pic of the location where the resistor came from?..
--
Tony Sayer

On 10/07/2018 11:20, Clive Page wrote:

Looks like a thin film resistor that has been trimmed to value. If it is then it may be a high tolerance resistor.
Does it actually read anything across a multimeter?
Is it in fact an inductor? Brian
--
----- --
On 10/07/2018 17:22, Brian Gaff wrote:

Not intentionally.

Nope, its clearly a power resistor.

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 05:46:09 +1000, "Rod Speed"

You great gormless wally Rodders. Is there no limit to your ignorance.
It's a carbon film resistor that has been "cooked". As it's carbon film and the spiral is still black, it will most likely have retained its original value. A quick prod with a DMM will enlighten.
Power resistors are made from metal, or in the case of RF dummy loads, can be carbon, but certainly not cut in a spiral.
If you dont know what you are on about, why not just shut up Rodders??
AB

We'll see...

Still a power resistor, fuckwit.

Not necessarily.

I do thank and have been using those since before you were even born thanks.