DIY Like a Pro: How to Pick a Good Caliper for Precise Measurements

The cheap digital ones seem to have the same accuracy as the digital ones costing £100 and that is achieved with one simple moving part.

Will the same accuracy be achieved with a cheap mechanical dial caliper with many more mechanical parts?

Reply to
alan_m

Yes, absolutely..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

That's what I was thinking. I ended up buying a Vernier yesterday because it's simple (less to wear out), I know how to read it, & there's a Toolstation nearby.

Reply to
Adam Funk

I have a few of these.

They are light, accurate enough, not sharp, easy to put in a pocket when out shopping, don't require reading glasses, the battery lasts ok.

They do fall apart after a while, but at £6.00 I can live with that, like a cheap tape measure.

Reply to
Pancho

These don't need a battery

Andy Burns

Yebbut, they need glasses.

Reply to
Pancho

My problem is a standrad verniers is too fine to read without my special modellers glasses. I sense an electronic one in my future...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But they do need a set of glasses...:-)

Reply to