Calculating the size of a resistor

I have no direct experience, but I would expect a diaphragm pump to be lime a buzzer - a very non-linear device both in current and output lfow terms. Below a certain voltage it will probably draw more current than usual and get hot, with zero output. And as the voltage rises it will start working with near full current (or more) and output.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

From the following line we assume you mean a 5V 3-terminal regulator.

But 6V regs are just as cheap as 5V ones + 2x diodes.

Reply to
Grumps

Times have moved on....!??

I bit my teeth on 7805's. I seem to recollect a 7812, but never went to those ginagerous Voltage levels.

7805,s littered the toolbox as they do to this day, 'same for silicon diodes.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

I have a 7806, 7809 and I had a 7824 somewhere.

I also have the 79 series which are negative regulators and the L series which were 100ma, niether of which we use much now.

Now I have 78S05 too which are rated at 2 amp rather than 1 amp. some variable voltage like the LM317K, LM317T & LM317LZ.

and some LDOs which only need about 0.5V rather than 2+V on the i/p. LD1117 which are 3.3V @ 800ma and even a surface mount 3.3V @ 250ma version.

The fun thing with the older 7805 is that if used above about 250ma they get very hot and without a heatsink they shutdown, cool and startup again. The surface temperature gets to around 110C, it's amazing just how robust these sorts of things are.

Until a student gets hold of them ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave