Calculating the size of a resistor

Could you reduce the efficiency of the fan by bending or clipping the blades?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

In message <qel5fb$1f8b$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>, Bill Wright snipped-for-privacy@f2s.com writes

Tried that Bill, but it doesn't make enough difference.

Reply to
Graeme

6V zener diode. I have a shed load of surplus 3.3V 5W zeners, two in series would get you down to 5.4V. I could send you some if I knew where...

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Well how about a variable PSU? Too expensive I suppose.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Model plane ESC and a model plane servo tester will allow variable control of the motor from nothing to full but you are talking over £10

The Natural Philosopher

that's what I'd do, but diodes passing power drop nearer a volt each, sometimes more. 0.65v is the knee voltage not the running voltage at highish current.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It would be better to use a regulator. Look here:

Select on that gives the more than the current you need at 6V

You could possibly try a 9V one, or look for an 8V one but they aren't common.

I use versions of these regulators in several applications.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Just get a 6V power supply with adequate current - it will probably waste less energy as heat than any lash-up you're likely to cobble onto the existing one.

Reply to
Rob Morley

It seems to pump air not water, so instead of restricting it, perhaps you could add a hole in the tube to let out unwanted air?

Reply to
Dave W

I found this alternative supplier who rates the pump at 12V 250mA:

assuming it would take 125mA at 6V, the zener would dissipate 750mW so a 1W zener would do. 3V zeners don't have very sharp voltage curves so I wouldn't recommend them.

Reply to
Dave W

Indeed, but its hardly an exact science in this case - we don't really know what voltage the motor is going to work at the required speed and still start under load etc. Adding or subtracting cheap diodes should be a fairly quick empirical exercise in finding the optimal number.

Reply to
John Rumm

By th time you have bought all those resistors and diodes it would be as easy to buy a model plane controller with a servo tester.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Dave W snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk> writes

It does indeed pump air, and I assume, although haven't looked, it is just a basic 12v DC motor driving an impeller. A cheap inline restriction valve is on the way, and the plan is to cut the tube and insert a three way connector, with the valve connected to one of the outlets, to control the amount of air exiting the business end.

There have been some interesting suggestions (thanks!), and I like John's pack of silicon rectifier diodes, as they will be useful elsewhere.

The pump is picking up power from a 12v bus bar, and I would prefer that option, although could run a dedicated variable supply via a toy train controller or similar, but am trying to avoid that option.

Reply to
Graeme

No need for resistors, and the ebay diodes come in a pack of ten for under 2 quid.

Reply to
John Rumm

better in what way?

Reply to
tabbypurr

indeed. Just don't go with an initial estimate that leaves the motor no power.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Motor starting current is many times run current. You can't overload zeners like that & expect them to last long if at all.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Next time keep some e-waste and you won't need to spend or wait.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

They are usually diaphragm pumps. The Brrrrrr sound is the give-away. May be a motor and crank, may be like a door-bell, i.e. a solenoid with a breaker switch on the arm. Screen washers are often impeller, note the higher frequency sound.

Reply to
newshound

Excellent, thank you.

Reply to