Cable storage

En el artículo , Huge escribió:

One method is to go through them and ask yourself, "have I used this cable in the last 12 months?" if the answer is no, in the bin it goes.

It can be very hard, though. "just in case" rears its ugly head, and before you know where you were, you've kept the lot.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I use clear polythene bags which can be kept shut at top. Cables then don't get tangled up when in box or laptop travel bag.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I winnowed a lot out when we moved. I've used examples of all the remaining ones in the last couple of months, so unusually in this regard, I have to disagree.

Reply to
Huge

+1 for plastic bags with press close tops. Very cheap from ebay in various sizes - just buy ones about 15"x 15" - only a few pence each.
Reply to
Robert

+1
Reply to
newshound

The blue console cable is more likely to connect the Cisco box to a dial-up modem for remote emergency administration.

I carry a long parallel port laplink cable around with me all the time. I haven't needed it in 20 years.

Reply to
Graham.

Beer or wine bottle boxes, one for "mains", one for "network", one for "computer", one for "Audio/Video". No more than one box of each category, coiled and releasable cable tied. "Mains" is small stuff not 16A genset supply cables etc...

The centronics probably won't, the 25 pin serial might. B-)

When I need one I need it now not in a few days time.

One just has to have a purge on the boxes every few years.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Like

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's what I'm using now, but storing things coiled up and cable tied makes them all kinky when you come to use them.

I was thinking of buying one of those rows of coat hooks to hang them over.

Reply to
Huge

I know these from labs:

The German word for that is "cable rake" :-)

Adjustable teeth:

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

En el artículo , Thomas Prufer escribió:

we had those at work. They did the job.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I've still got a centronics printer interface.

I just hope now that I've kept the cable for it.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I'll have one in my box if you need one.

Reply to
charles

Don't worry, I have one somewhere. It fits the Epson needle printer with the fanfold paper; the tube of black metal stamp ink for re-inking the pad that keeps the ribbon inkend is somewhere, too. Refilling inks was done even back then...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Should have spoken up before I moved & threw mine away.

Reply to
Huge

You can still buy them. I recently cut one in half to make a cable to connect a points controller to a railway layout I am helping to build. Quite cheap from CPC.

Reply to
dennis

You must be doing something wrong.

The only kinky cables (ooh Betty) I have are only kinky beacuse the fing stupid manufacturers effectively fold the cable up in the packaging rather than leave the coil as a circle.

Long cables (>3 m) need coiling properly so that the twists cancel out and you don't end up with a spring laying on the floor when you just take and end a walk away from the coil. As you coil it you alternate the direction of the twist required to form that loop.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Quite possibly, given it's the story of my life.

Reply to
Huge

And the cheap PVC used as a covering for most cables doesn't help either. Seems to keep a memory of how it was stored. TRS or silicone is so much better. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Try boxer shorts.

Reply to