Most efficient shed storage

As just posted, I am finally setting about the shed.

At the moment most of the storage is Kettler style black plastic shelving coming out at right angles to the rear wall. This gives a lot of storage but also takes up a lot of space.

Three against the end wall, then a block of 4 sticking out, then another shelving unit.

They were fine as a stop gap but I keep feeling that I could achieve something neater and higher density.

Many of the shelves are stuffed but still have air gaps above the stuff.

Anyone come up with a really neat way of storing stuff?

Old kitchen units these days just seem to be ripped out and chucked and new units aren't cheap.

I have also sadly come to the conclusion that I have too many tools, what with duplicates donated by two people who have emigrated.

Tough times ahead, deciding what to keep. I am by nature a hoarder so all the little bits and bobs I have accumulated take up an awful lot of space.

Anyway, deeper shelves closer together in height?

It feels like a DIY project too far at the moment.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

In my workshop I made up some L shaped shelves from 3/" MDF and supported them on spur style wall brackets. By cutting two opposing shapes from each 8x4' board I could get two shelves per sheet. That makes the corner space more accessible.

I find this style of adjustable shelves also work quite well:

You can fit the shelves anywhere on the uprights to get more useful spacings.

Reply to
John Rumm

You need Holerith card storage draws; but they are like dragons' teeth, and you are not having mine!

Reply to
newshound

replying to David, Iggy wrote: For the open areas atop. You can simply leave screws proud and drop on a shelf board or you can get all fancy and do the same with L-brackets. Otherwise, just start drilling and cutting more shelf boards so you can have unlimited adjustability and pack everything in tight without wasted open space.

Reply to
Iggy

In message , John Rumm writes

+1. I bought a few like that, following recommendations here a year or two ago, and am delighted with them. Mine came via eBay, and are available in a few standard sizes, plus corner units. Easy to assemble, and much more rigid than I expected, when assembled.

One other option is shelving from post/mail offices, which are closing at an alarming rate. Here, the modern metal/plastic mail sorting frames were taken for reuse, but *everything* else was dumped from cups to kettle and microwave, shelving, bins, safe, the lot. I scrounged a couple of old wooden sorting frames which are large, heavy and extremely useful. One is about 5 ft long by 3 ft high, divided into sorting holes, each about 12 inches deep, 12 inches wide and 6 inches high. Very useful for storing smaller stuff. Oh, and two metal filing cabinets, one 2 drawer and the other 4 drawer.

Reply to
Graeme

Neat and higher density don't necessarily go hand in hand. I'm on the lookout for a new tool drawer since the ones I have are falling apart after 25 years or so of abuse. Heart foundation furniture shop is one place I intend to look since new purpose built stuff isn't cheap.

My solution to shelving is to have a range of different depths and narrower mezanine shelves in between the larger ones and also higher up. I have a mix of bolted to the wall planks and galvanised steel frame.

That doesn't work terribly well since you can't see or get to the stuff hidden at the back. A range of depths to match at most 2 of whatever goes on them is about optimal if you want to be able to find stuff again. I find smaller shelves higher works better for me. YMMV

I also have a lot of small stuff nuts, bolts, screws sorted in plastic drawers and vertical stacks of old tobacco tins.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Same size but with at least 2 more shelves would be nice. Adjustable shelving is better than the plastic versions that I have, but I think my main storage problem is the amount of air space above most of the stored items.

I may try mounting some stuff directly on the wall with hooks.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

At the price you may as well buy one or two extra sets and cannibalise for the extra shelves.

Reply to
John Rumm