Cable storage

Like most computer geeky types, I have accumulated a large number of cables over the years - HDMI, PCI, ethernet, USB, WHY. Storing them all without tangling is a PITA. I have all the ethernet patch eads rolled up and secured with removable cable ties, but that makes them all curly when you come to use them. So ... does anyone have a recommendation for a storage solution?

Reply to
Huge

I'd have thought weighing them in when you moved house would have been a start!

It's a disease, I saw a 20m ATM/E3 dual coax cable being chucked last week and wondered if I might ever need it. I've been trying to weedle my collection down, any ethernet cable that wasn't snagless got the chop, as did numerous schuko/nema mains leads. I vaguely sorted them into usb, mains, network, ribbon, fibre and serial heaps, at last count I had a dozen of those pale blue cisco console cables, when did anyone last use a laplink cable?

But I've lost the will and they'll probably all end-up back in the three

50l boxes until "later" ...
Reply to
Andy Burns

There was a considerable winnowing.

It is. I find my resolve only lasts about 30 minutes or so, then I'm back to keeping shit "just in case".

Reply to
Huge

Hooks are the best way to store cable with minimum coiling. Depending on length, obviously. Perhaps on a wall in an outbuilding?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I use these swiped from our kitchen supplies.

'n'-Sauce-Press-Seal-Clear-Freezer-Storage-Bags---1L

Other sizes and other suppliers are available but the Lakeland ones are reasonably robust for reuse, and the write on part is useful to identify the cable or what the wall wart is for. The individual items in their bags are then stored in a couple of drawers one inside and one outside in the shed depending on how frequently it is used.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

For interconnects of 2m or shorter I have a series of those things that you screw to the wall to hold cables. They have two prongs and the plug sits between them with the cable hanging down. Each one hold about six cables.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Used to have something similar at work, what are they called?

I have a few plywood panels with a row of the smallest size Terry clip butted together. For 3m cables I clip each end into a clip.

Reply to
newshound

Hang them from the bannisters if you have a staircase impressive enough.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I have a set of hanging brackets, bought from Tchibo about 10 years ago, that slip over the top of a door. Intended for hanging clothes but because there are two hooks 4 inches apart, it adorns the back of my 'office' and has a collection of cables hanging loose.

Reply to
Andrew

No staircase in this house.

Reply to
Huge

I have some strips of MDF with slots in them fixed to the wall behind the door in my study and use these for hanging cables.

Reply to
Chris Green

That's essentially what my DIY MDF ones are (see my other comment).

Reply to
Chris Green

Or this ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

+1
Reply to
RJH

I simply bought one of those strips of coat hooks from a shed. Didn't even consider making one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh, that's *brilliant*!

Reply to
Huge

How do you get upstairs?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Vegetable boxes/trays from supermarkets.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

En el artículo , Huge escribió:

The bin. You'll /never/ use them. BTDTGTTS.

When you need one, get it for pennies off fleabay.

Trust me, as an ex-hoarder. You'll feel better for it.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Huge escribió:

I feel your pain. The only answer is cold turkey.

We're all rooting for you, brother.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson