Cable by the metre

I would be more inclined to say, I did it because I wanted it done right, what you going to do about it? ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Okay I think apologies are appropriate here. I misunderstood 'DIY extension lead' and was thinking this was a spurred socket.

I agree flex is different and I am not advocating use of PVC cable as flex. I agree there is no 'rubber 'cable' as such and the cable we have is the recognised standard.

I apologise for creating confusion by going off at a tangent.

Reply to
Scott

The main use of rubber in fixed installations as opposed to flex may well the be marine industry . Constant vibration from engines ,flexing of a vessel at sea causes stresses over time that can cause more rigid materials to deteriorate. The rubbers used are manufactured to a high standards often as laid down by the various certification agencies such as LLoyds Register ,Bureau Veritas etc.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Interesting. But wasn't one of the fires on a ship during the Falklands War said to have been much worse due to PVC in cable burning?

Not sure why a ship would have more vibration than a car or truck etc that used PVC wiring - but flex, of course.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No problem - it is easily done. Especially since so many just copy the entire post when replying to a part of it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Points conceded in my other posting.

Reply to
Scott

IIRC Aircraft wiring is done with Kaptan...

I don't RC.

... Which damns kapton pretty thoroughly.

"Kapton-insulated electrical wiring has been widely used in civil and military aircraft because it is lighter than other insulators and has good insulating and temperature characteristics. However, Kapton insulation ages poorly: an FAA study shows degradation in under 100 hours in a hot, humid environment,[5] or in the presence of seawater. It was found to have very poor resistance to mechanical wear, mainly abrasion within cable harnesses due to aircraft movement. Many aircraft models have had to undergo extensive rewiring modifications?sometimes completely replacing all the Kapton-insulated wiring?because of short circuits caused by the faulty insulation. Kapton-wire degradation and chafing due to vibration and heat has been implicated in multiple crashes of both fixed wing and rotary wing aircraft, with loss of life."

And yet

AKA

Says it's still the best in many circumstances!

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

AIUI in the aircraft industry Kapton in cable looms and interconnects is frowned upon (if not prohibited these days) but is still acceptable in places like transformer or relay coils where it prevented from any sort of relative movement.

Reply to
Chris B

Now found an answer to my question. And the answer is ... Wilko.

Reply to
Scott

Or Maplins last time I looked.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Why do people always put an S on the name , it is almost as bad as using apostrophes incorrectly . Shows what they used watch on the Telly .

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

That's a different question ... "where can I buy cable by the metre?"

Reply to
Andy Burns

When I asked they said it was discontinued.

Reply to
Scott

You are not wrong but I did not want to start a new thread for substantially the same topic.

Reply to
Scott

OTOH Sainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd puts both an 's' and an apostrophe in their trading name.

Reply to
Scott

Quite right too. The company was founded in 1869, by John James Sainsbury with a shop in Drury Lane, London. One would therefor talk of going to Mr Sainsbury's shop for one's groceries.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

The sign says Sainsbury's for quality

Reply to
alan_m

In article , Scott scribeth thus

Most electrical wholesalers will do by the metre, our local TLC does..

Reply to
tony sayer