CRT TV into fish tank?

Is this even possible?

I would have thought breaking a CRT tube in one place only to add water would be pretty difficult.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Only a complete pillock would ask that question. You asked the question.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

And you didn't know the answer.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Almost impossible and very very dangerous. The front has phospher to remove, there are numorous other bits. I'd suggest that its all a bit pointless. You might be better finding an old console model, remove the whole of the innards to recyclers and build a tank inside that slides in and out or the cabinat slides over it. Baird and Bush first generation ones were sturdy cabinets often with doors and some had plate glass over the front too. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Chuckle If you, like myself had watched a tv fall off a high shelf and disappear in a cloud of shrapnell you would certainly not ask such a question. very funny in slow motion though I have to say. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I don't even think about giving answers to stupid questions, Hucker. I would not give you a drink of water in the desert, Hucker What happened to your k/f, Hucker? Why have you not yet killed yourself, Hucker? The nation would save a lot of money in dole payments if you were dead, Hucker.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

When I was a teenager in the 60's, we had a CRT tv to dispose of (probably about a 15 inch, B&W and not "low profile" of course) and, not having a car, my father decided the best way to reduce the size for dustbin disposal would be to break the tube. I expect we had canibalised the chassis and any useful bits. Obviously, we were aware of the debris risk from implosion (my father used to train sappers in demolition during the war) so we wrapped it in substantial blankets before putting it in what we thought would be a suitably vulnerable orientation and lobbing breeze blocks at it.

It turned out to be very much more robust than we expected. Eventually we managed to break off the neck part containing the gun. IIRC the glass of the main part was about 6 mm thick.

But this does seem like a particularly daft exercise to me, particularly given the internal construction of a colour CRT and the fact that the phosphors could well be toxic.

Reply to
newshound

What was stupid about it? It was an on topic DIY conversion question.

I would, I'd pour it over you and laugh as you frantically tried to gather the water.

Since you've been replying to me without me seeing it (which was very stupid and totally pointless) for the last 2 years, I thought I'd join in.

Because my life is better than yours. I seriously would not swap places.

I don't collect dole money.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Damn, the whole one I put in the wheely bin probably won't implode then.

As a kid I used to smash them at the skip by throwing them against a hard edge of concrete, face first. I guess someone had a lot of sweeping to do.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The 30" CRT in the computing class at the school I went to apparently fell off a high shelf. Unfortunately I didn't see it happen, but I was told it just missed the teacher's head.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

When I were a lad, we had a TV (I think Baird) which had a sliding door which rolled around the side. I was about 3 or 4 and fascinated as to where the apparently solid door went to. I was also very proud of making my own radio, by finding a channel with music on it and closing the door :-)

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Seems our "computer tech" (LOL) can't delete simple posts! He surprises everyone with alway new evidence of his obviously limitless stupidity.

Reply to
Peeler

The flare, possibly, but the faceplates were much thicker -

20mm or more.

Where I worked when I first left school, we used to dispose of CRTs in the rubbish.

All the rubbish went into a large drum with one end removed. When the level in the drum reached a critical level we would take all the old tubes downstairs and put them in the bin, face down, one at a time.

The 'critical level' ensured that the very end of the neck just protruded above the brim. The drum was sited next to where the toilet wall jutted out, making it convenient to hide round the corner.

The deed was done using an odd length of galvanised iron conduit: you hid round the corner, poked your head out while taking a violent swipe at the tube neck then ducked back out of sight while a sharp hiss indicated success!

We smashed up the flare of the tube with the conduit and put the next tube on top, then repeated as required until all of the CRTs had been disposed of.

When my brother, four years my junior, started work with us he was shown this procedure. The last tube was an old round

12" CRT. After it was loaded into the drum, he was handed the conduit and we all retreated round the corner.

Tap! Nothing happened so he was told to try again but much harder. Tap! Again nothing ...

More encouragement, more tapping until, eventually: WHOOMPH!

After the initial implosion there was a second rush of noise as all the glass that wasn't contained in the drum hit the ceiling! Another short pause and them the sound of all the glass hitting the solid floor.

It took him over half an hour to sweep up all the glass!

Reply to
Terry Casey

No it's not there's a bit at the back of tubes neck that if you break it, it lets the air back in. The biggest problem is getting the phosphor off the tube so you can see through it.

Reply to
whisky-dave

it;s been done with Macs.

whisky-dave

About the only thing a mac is useful for!

The kit includes a tank, so you're not really converting, you're just using one minor part - the plastic housing. For a proper conversion I'd want to use more, eg the CRT tube for the tank, perhaps some of the electrics for lighting and temperature control.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Can't you stick a long brush (the sort to clean bottles) into it and scrape it off? Or perhaps fill it with some sort of solvent and let it soak?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You open the case, throw away all the contents including the tube, build tank inside case.

Nobody wants to look through dark TV screen glass and they usually are as it improves the contrast.

Its also hard to remove the shadow mask.

Reply to
dennis

ter would be pretty difficult.

k it, it lets the air back in. The biggest problem is getting the phosp= hor off the tube so you can see through it.

Is it that securely fitted? Can't you yank it with a hooked piece of wi= re and bend it till it snaps?

-- =

A teacher wanted to teach her students about self-esteem, so she asked a= nyone who thought they were stupid to stand up. One kid stood up and the= teacher was surprised. She didn=E2=80=99t think anyone would stand up s= o she asked him, =E2=80=9CWhy did you stand up?=E2=80=9D He answered, =E2= =80=9CI didn=E2=80=99t want to leave you standing up by yourself.=E2=80=9D=

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I tried that using coke as I heard it will disolve phosper it didn't really work although some seemed to come off but that could be just luck, rather than a fish tank I wanted to make a lava lamp, seemed too much effort in the end.

Reply to
whisky-dave