CRT TV into fish tank?

Is this even possible?
https://groups.freecycle.org/freecycleclacks/posts/62058170
I would have thought breaking a CRT tube in one place only to add water would be pretty difficult.
--
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare.
Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

Only a complete pillock would ask that question. You asked the question.

And you didn't know the answer.
--
If our service isn't up to your standards, please lower your standards.

Chuckle If you, like myself had watched a tv fall off a high shelf and disappear in a cloud of shrapnell you would certainly not ask such a question. very funny in slow motion though I have to say. Brian
--
----- -
The 30" CRT in the computing class at the school I went to apparently fell off a high shelf. Unfortunately I didn't see it happen, but I was told it just missed the teacher's head.

--
Lysdexia: a peech imspediment we live to learn with...

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

I don't even think about giving answers to stupid questions, Hucker. I would not give you a drink of water in the desert, Hucker What happened to your k/f, Hucker? Why have you not yet killed yourself, Hucker? The nation would save a lot of money in dole payments if you were dead, Hucker.

What was stupid about it? It was an on topic DIY conversion question.

I would, I'd pour it over you and laugh as you frantically tried to gather the water.

Since you've been replying to me without me seeing it (which was very stupid and totally pointless) for the last 2 years, I thought I'd join in.

Because my life is better than yours. I seriously would not swap places.

I don't collect dole money.
--
Only 55% of Americans know that the sun is a star.

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 21:18:36 +0100, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Seems our "computer tech" (LOL) can't delete simple posts! He surprises everyone with alway new evidence of his obviously limitless stupidity.

I doubt it. How the hell would you get the shadow mask out ?

That's only a small part of what you would need to do.
And even if you could do it, access later would be fucked anyway.
In theory you might be able to cut the top off with a diamond saw and get the shadow mask out that way, but it's a hell of a lot of work just to end up with a fish tank which would look pretty silly when you could see thru the front and see the neck etc on the other side.
Almost impossible and very very dangerous. The front has phospher to remove, there are numorous other bits. I'd suggest that its all a bit pointless. You might be better finding an old console model, remove the whole of the innards to recyclers and build a tank inside that slides in and out or the cabinat slides over it. Baird and Bush first generation ones were sturdy cabinets often with doors and some had plate glass over the front too. Brian
--
----- -
When I were a lad, we had a TV (I think Baird) which had a sliding door which rolled around the side. I was about 3 or 4 and fascinated as to where the apparently solid door went to. I was also very proud of making my own radio, by finding a channel with music on it and closing the door :-)

--
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." -- Popular Mechanics, 1949

When I was a teenager in the 60's, we had a CRT tv to dispose of (probably about a 15 inch, B&W and not "low profile" of course) and, not having a car, my father decided the best way to reduce the size for dustbin disposal would be to break the tube. I expect we had canibalised the chassis and any useful bits. Obviously, we were aware of the debris risk from implosion (my father used to train sappers in demolition during the war) so we wrapped it in substantial blankets before putting it in what we thought would be a suitably vulnerable orientation and lobbing breeze blocks at it.
It turned out to be very much more robust than we expected. Eventually we managed to break off the neck part containing the gun. IIRC the glass of the main part was about 6 mm thick.
But this does seem like a particularly daft exercise to me, particularly given the internal construction of a colour CRT and the fact that the phosphors could well be toxic.

Damn, the whole one I put in the wheely bin probably won't implode then.
As a kid I used to smash them at the skip by throwing them against a hard edge of concrete, face first. I guess someone had a lot of sweeping to do.
--
The longest word word has 189,819 letters, and takes three hours to pronounce:
http://www.digitalspy.com/fun/news/a444700/longest-word-has-189819-letters-takes-three-hours-to-pronounce/

The flare, possibly, but the faceplates were much thicker - 20mm or more.
Where I worked when I first left school, we used to dispose of CRTs in the rubbish.
All the rubbish went into a large drum with one end removed. When the level in the drum reached a critical level we would take all the old tubes downstairs and put them in the bin, face down, one at a time.
The 'critical level' ensured that the very end of the neck just protruded above the brim. The drum was sited next to where the toilet wall jutted out, making it convenient to hide round the corner.
The deed was done using an odd length of galvanised iron conduit: you hid round the corner, poked your head out while taking a violent swipe at the tube neck then ducked back out of sight while a sharp hiss indicated success!
We smashed up the flare of the tube with the conduit and put the next tube on top, then repeated as required until all of the CRTs had been disposed of.
When my brother, four years my junior, started work with us he was shown this procedure. The last tube was an old round 12" CRT. After it was loaded into the drum, he was handed the conduit and we all retreated round the corner.
Tap! Nothing happened so he was told to try again but much harder. Tap! Again nothing ...
More encouragement, more tapping until, eventually: WHOOMPH!
After the initial implosion there was a second rush of noise as all the glass that wasn't contained in the drum hit the ceiling! Another short pause and them the sound of all the glass hitting the solid floor.
It took him over half an hour to sweep up all the glass!
--

Terry

We used to have a place where we put them outside and could then lob a brick at them from the nearby flat roof, a very satisfactory WHUMP!! occurred plus the crashing and tinkling to the glass fallout. We got the works minion Chris to sweep up!
One day a 26" colour CRT accidentally slid off the bench, three blokes were in the room they were rather shocked to say the least, one did get a bit of flying glass in the side of his face which required a hospital trip;(...
--
Tony Sayer

On Monday, 14 August 2017 17:13:19 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

No it's not there's a bit at the back of tubes neck that if you break it, it lets the air back in. The biggest problem is getting the phosphor off the tube so you can see through it.

Can't you stick a long brush (the sort to clean bottles) into it and scrape it off? Or perhaps fill it with some sort of solvent and let it soak?
--
It's called "Windows XP" because its full name, "The Repair Shop and Help-Desk Full Employment Act of 2006", won't fit on the box.

On Tuesday, 15 August 2017 14:12:24 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

I tried that using coke as I heard it will disolve phosper it didn't really work although some seemed to come off but that could be just luck, rather than a fish tank I wanted to make a lava lamp, seemed too much effort in the end.

I've had two (purchased new, proper) lava lamps. The lava eventually goes off and you just get a mess of the two substances dissolved together and no pretty blobs to go up and down.
--
"A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your unit."
- Army preventative maintainance publication
On 15/08/2017 13:51, whisky-dave wrote:

You open the case, throw away all the contents including the tube, build tank inside case.
Nobody wants to look through dark TV screen glass and they usually are as it improves the contrast.
Its also hard to remove the shadow mask.