Buy to lets

Lock the goat in the shed during working hours..

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Oh dear. I thought you believed in market forces Andy?

Assuming that 25% of the population smoke, roughly that percentage of pub goers smoke, and therefore 25% of bar staff smoke.

So its safe to assume that 25% of pubs would allow smoking, so the 25% of bar staff who smoke could work in those venues.

No brainer really - if you are prepared to allow free choice?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Just think Geoff - if we had sensible legislation, which allowed smoking or non smoking venues, you could insist on employing smoking or non smoking staff - in other words you could choose.

As it is, there is a 100% smoking ban, but if you tried to employ only non smokers, or tried to sack a smoker you could have all sorts of trouble.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes, erm, err, No !

Don't get me confused !

What I mean is I couldn't.

Neither could I but we'd signed up to both (as it were) before the rates went up !

8-((

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Well, I personally don't mind if they smoke at work or not, it's a factor which would be way down my list of criteria

My wife smokes

Having broken a 50-60 / day addiction, I know how difficult and ultimately how easy giving up can be

I do see how stupid smoking is from any angle you look at ur

Reply to
geoff

I've got a good solution. Employ dribble - he doesn't smoke. I'm sure he would soon sort out your business for you...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Leaving all the semantics aside it's absolutely clear beyond any doubt whatsoever that it would have been possible to cater for smoking drinkers in premises set aside for smoking drinkers, manned/womanned by staff who could chose whether to work there or work somewhere else or even go on the 'dilly* or live on benefits.

If there were no staff prepared to work there then the smoking drinkers would get no beer.

I don't smoke. That outcome seems fine to me.

*live on the earnings of prostitution.

'dilly = Euphemism for Piccadilly, a nice green and pleasant open-air square and focus of routes in the centre of Manchester where much bescabbed hookers hang out knee deep in used condoms and Mc Burger packaging on the site of the original Manchester Royal Infirmary.

It's nice. :))

HTH

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Before, or after ?

Be careful she doesn't burst into flames.

They'll blame you for it, whatever ...

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

I might just give that offer a miss, thanks

Reply to
geoff

He may not smoke, but there is a fair chance a few PCBs would not long after getting dribbled!

Reply to
John Rumm

You should work for the tourist board!

Reply to
John Rumm

I certainly do.

Ah but what about the choice of the 75% of bar staff who would like freeom of choice over where they can work? They are in the majority and yet couldn't work in smoking bars without being pickled..

There is a difference between free choice that affects only the person making the choice and "free choice" that affects others as well.

Since we live in a civilised environment (allegedly), the principle of freedom to do what I want to do as long as it doesn't affect the equal right of my fellow individual to do what he wants to do, does reasonably transcend a market force argument.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Does the legislation actually prevent someone from employing a non-smoker? Don't know.

However I'm sure there would be no problem with firing an individual who repeatedly ignored warnings not to smoke in non-smoking areas; it might be more problematic to sack someone for not working while spending 5 mins per hour outside having a drag - would be interested to know.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Strange. The majority of your posts suggest worker's rights aren't high up on your agenda. Apart from when it suits your argument, of course.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, all those non-smoking bar staff desperate to work in a smoking pub. This really is a silly argument.

They are in the majority and

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "worker's rights".

If it's a collective thing as in a group of workers, then that is low on my agenda. If it's the right of an individual, while working, not to have to breathe toxic fumes unnecessarily, then it's very important.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I know. To be honest, the thought of working in a pub, period is pretty horrible, but compounding it with smoke doesn't bear thinking about.

Anyway, the argument is not so much silly as academic. The game is over anyway.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yeah, sounds very sensible to me :-)

Reply to
PM

Perhaps it's like that guy I see when I occasionally watch UK TV with sauce bottle glasses wanting to quote people happy or some such nonsense. Perhaps he does happy slapping on the side, I'm not really sure.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I suspect it's a law which will soon fall out of use - like so many others

- and it will be left to the individual to decide. Like in other countries that have similar laws.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)