Burning freshly cut wood.

That's the idea. Burn it off before there's too much of it to be a danger if set on fire.

A properly designed chimney is lightweight and insulated, warms up quickly and stays warm. eg, twinwall metal with insulation between.

harry

Depends on the weather.

Reply to
harry

harry

"This article has multiple issues"

While it may work to some degree in theory, can anyone really see it as a practicality? It's like all the other schemes for sucking CO2 out of the atmosphere - they work in theory but they are just totally impractical. But probably great for getting grant money...

Remember that the atmosphere contains 3210 gigatonnes (3,210,000,000,000) tonnes of CO2. That is rather a lot.

Chris Hogg

And if it contained none at all then plant life would be in trouble.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Around 45 years back, it was suggested storing (safely) other waste in disused underground workings. The volumes involve were far, far lower.

The tree huggers wouldn't hear of it, so much so it led in part to the current developing energy crisis.

Reply to
Brian Reay

And the rest. Plenty of clueless or couldn't-care types burn just about any old crap and not just wood.

Reply to
Andrew

Yes, but they don't *buy* it. So restrictions on what is sold won't make any difference to that practice.

Reply to
Maxwell Boltzmann

It was "thought" about hundreds of millions of years ago.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

self contradiction right there

Reply to
tabbypurr

You are more likely to see enforcement against the people committing "hate crimes" against the aforementioned scumbags by calling them "diddies" :-))

Reply to
John Rumm

Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nezumi.demon.co

Anthracite as a natural low sulphur ,?smokeless? fuel is unaffected by the measures to be implemented.

It was specifically mentioned in the proposals a couple of years back.

Quote. .

?Anthracite is a naturally occurring, mined, high-purity form of coal, and is approved for use in smoke control areas because of low emissions of particulate matter. We are not currently seeking further evidence on the use of anthracite.?

GH

Reply to
Marland

The government has planned for quite a while to continue the exemptions for steam locomotives and traction engines and owners are not concerned about that. However, they are concerned about getting hold of supplies at a reasonable price - without the domestic heating market, there is not enough demand to sustain the supply lines and this may well make such supplies a "special" import and extremely expensive due to the relatively low quantities required.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Steamers run on dry steam coal or anthracite - not low grade bituminous.

Both are allowed to be sold

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The key word is currently.

The Eco Terrorists won?t be happy until they?ve totally removed all our reliable and economic sources of energy, and wrecked our economy.

Reply to
Brian Reay

I agree, but for the moment the chances of the green party allied with others turning over the Conservative Party seems more remote now than a few months back.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Which means in practice that the people who depend on logs for their heating in rural areas will be largely unaffected by the ban. I get mine in 2-3m^3 truckloads dumped on the drive which take a while to stack.

I can't imagine anyone who uses solid fuel heating buying the stuff in dribs and drabs from garage forecourts or supermarkets unless they have carelessly run out and can't get a bulk delivery until the weekend. Even then burning offcuts and any scrap wood is still he first resort.

I am a bit puzzled by the coal thing though. I thought that in cities the smokeless fuel requirement came in with the clean air act of 1968. So why are supermarkets still selling coal to the public at all?

We can still buy real bulk coal in rural areas. I wish I could still buy the old smokeless fuel that I found at my parents house dating from the

1970's fuel crisis. It was an extruded 4" hexagonal section very dense

- the embers would burn for 20 hours or more in their ash blanket.

Reply to
Martin Brown
<snip>

I remember shoveling 'coal nuts' (were they called) from the coal bunker at home as a kid.

They were much heavier than std coal and were a strange uniform oval / lozenge shape?

Was it 'anthracite'?

This stuff would last the night in our Parkray glass fronted fire, if the damper was closed last thing.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Odd you have the Guardian to burn. Since you rather obviously never read it. Is it a fetish thing?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, T i m snipped-for-privacy@spaced.me.uk> writes

Phurnacite? My mother burned it by the ton. No CH in the farmhouse until storage radiators came along.

Reply to
Tim Lamb