Building a cupboard around a combi boiler

I want to box my combi boiler into an opening cupboard (currently the boiler is just fixed to a bare wall). Any idea what clearance I need to allow around the boiler? I plan to use Conti type board to box it in.

Thanks

Tony

Reply to
lovezoo

|!I want to box my combi boiler into an opening cupboard (currently the |!boiler is just fixed to a bare wall). Any idea what clearance I need |!to allow around the boiler? I plan to use Conti type board to box it |!in.

You should have been left the installation manuals which will give you that information. Dig them out. Failing that Google for the make and type of your boiler. Most of that stuff is on the web.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

On 13 May 2007 08:47:51 -0700, lovezoo mused:

What boiler is it, most will specify something in the installation manual, many of which are available online.

Reply to
Lurch

It's not just the clearance, you'll also need to ensure there is enough air-flow into the cupboard - which will generally mean ensuring there are gaps and/or openings amounting to a minimum number of square centimetres (which should be specified in the installation guide).

Use of louvred panels may achieve what you need, or more cunning ploys such as making the cupboard baseless, or stepped off the wall so that air can get in at the back.

Reply to
OG

On Sun, 13 May 2007 17:07:18 +0100, Dave Fawthrop mused:

User manuals maybe, not all the installation manuals get left on site.

Reply to
Lurch

You need to make sure the boiler cover can be removed easily and all the bits an engineer might want to look at are accessible. Wasn't the case in my neighbour's house and I got the job of removing the top of the Ikea cabinet and a load of t&g to make it so.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

If it is balanced flue then ventilation is not critical as it is not feeding combustion air.

Reply to
John

|!On Sun, 13 May 2007 17:07:18 +0100, Dave Fawthrop |! mused: |! |!>On 13 May 2007 08:47:51 -0700, lovezoo wrote: |!>

|!>|!I want to box my combi boiler into an opening cupboard (currently the |!>|!boiler is just fixed to a bare wall). Any idea what clearance I need |!>|!to allow around the boiler? I plan to use Conti type board to box it |!>|!in. |!>

|!>You should have been left the installation manuals |! |!User manuals maybe, not all the installation manuals get left on site.

Which is why I added get them off the web.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

It is a legal requirement to leave the owner or occupier of the premises all instructions provided by the manufacturer, including installation manuals.

[The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) regulations 1998, Part E, Section 29]
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

... but still may be needed to provide compartment cooling.

Generally the more modern the boiler the less demands for clearances and ventialtion.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

It sees to me that the clearances these days on new boilers are more for the removal of the casing than for cooling.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

On 13 May 2007 17:41:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) mused:

What a load of old bollocks that is. But I could go on all day on the subject.

Reply to
Lurch

I've recently done this...

others have said find and check the installation manual - it's all laid out in there in no uncertain terms what's permissible.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Thanks for the comments (and the pictures Mathew). Couldn't find the info on the boiler on the internet, but a phone call to Worcester Bosch got me all the necessary figures. All I need now is the wood,

Tony

Reply to
lovezoo