Insulating lath and plaster ceiling in bathroom

Hi,

I have just looked in my bathroom ceiling, (lath and paster), and their is no insulation at all. The bulk of it is flat, but there is a section of sloped ceiling.

1, What is the best way to insulate the main area? I can get access although the hole is pretty tight. I thought some sort of fibre which would lay across the nibs nicely although if there is anything that is cleaner and easier to lay...

2, Vapour membranes, breathable membranes or no membrane. I cannot get to the bottom of what I need here. Do I need something between the lath and plaster and the fibre/insulation? If so what.

3, I am installing spot lights and a speaker in the ceiling. Is there anything I need to worry about fire hazard wise with insulation?

4, The sloped bits. There is a 2 foot height bit between the wall and ceiling that slopes. This is essentially the roof. It is lath and plaster onto the underside of the beams that have the outside tiles on them. There is nothing in the gap between the beams, tiles and plaster. I didn't want to force polystyrene down in case I knocked off all the nibs or tiles. I was also unsure of condensation and filling the air gap etc The gap would be 3 and a quarter inches if there weren't any nibs. How do people insulate these areas?

The beams are 2 and a quarter inch wide, by 3 and a quarter inch high. They are 15 and a quarter inch apart.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Reply to
Pilotmonkey

My best advice is to overboard the existing ceiling with battens and plasterboard especially in the sloping areas then you can insulate from below with kingspan or cellotex,I have so far done all my upstairs rooms and had the plasterboard skimmed a pleasure to lay in bed looking up at smooth ceiling

Reply to
Alex