Builders - Snagging

I was listening to Jeremy Vine the other day about problems with new build houses, One problem I think is relevant is that builder and associated trades think they know it all and do not read instructions. With modern fittings this can lead to big problems. Manufacturers are usually quite specific about how their stuff should be installed - but builder - being "know alls" like to do things the old way.
I experienced it with an extension and with a boiler installation.

And one trade dumping on the other. Electrician slots out the wall but doesn't get chance to get the conduit in that day. Next day the Plasterer plasters them all up again.
Mate asked me to check out why the sockets in the hall and the landing were dead on his new build house. Turns out they were just wired to each other and nothing else. ;-)
Nieces newbuild house had a tree growing up though the floor. ;-(
Cheers, T i m
Now that latter item could be a unique selling point. I want one of those. Brian
--
----- -
On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 08:13:09 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
On 16/07/2017 09:28, T i m wrote:

The high rises in Dubai and places like that are built on piles and don't get down to anything other than sand.
If you go deep enough friction on the piles will support the building.
Unless there is an earthquake?
On Saturday, 15 July 2017 23:30:31 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

Neighbour's washing machine disappeared through the floor as insufficient joists
Another neighbour's bath and basin not plumbed to waste, just discharging below floor into solum
Walls built with sand as builders ran out of cement. They went bankrupt 3 times during the build and were buying it in half-pound bags from the merchants.
CH plumbed in yellow-sleeved gas pipe. Not sure where they got that from but as it's probably more expensive than unsleeved water pipe suspect the gas board ended up a bit short of stock
Roof tiles bedded on pink plaster (see aforementioned shortage of mortar)
All with an NHBC warranty, mind you.
Owain

you don't want to hear about the things I have seen doing BC final completion inspections for 33 years...it would turn your blood cold .......shudders
On 16/07/2017 09:29, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Actually that sounds like a fun thread - hearing how the pros do it ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.
On 16/07/2017 17:48, John Rumm wrote:

TBH I have been telling you about the ones I have seen for the last few years - and thrown in photos where I can.
Maybe it needs it's own wiki article.
--
Adam

On 16/07/2017 20:31, ARW wrote:

Kind of like a hall of shame?
--
Cheers,

John.
On Sunday, 16 July 2017 20:31:30 UTC+1, ARW wrote:

definitely. Maybe more than one.
NT
On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 01:15:08 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Feck.

Lovely.

Ok, our 1897 cottage seems to be similar but I think it was just a weak mix (and seems to allow the house to move). ;-)

Lovely.

But at least that was potentially 'better' than required. ;-)

Seen that myself. I wonder if it goes off quicker than cement for a 'quick n dirty' repair (before silicone etc)?

And that's the worry isn't it ... many of these 'certificates' that are supposed to give customers confidence / assurance aren't worth the paper they are printed on (even if they are covered as such).
Cheers, T i m

Yes the old ways are the best it is the new ways of reading instructions by unskilled people that is the problem .....
Did you ever see that silent short comedy film, by Eric Sykes called A Home of our Own? I think nothing much has altered over many years.
Brian
--
----- -

naw my fave instruction book was "noddy builds a house" .........."put the roof on first so if it rains we won't get wet"
On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 09:26:27 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."

I think that technique is a selling point for tents that have a separate waterproof outer over a non waterproof inner (when pitching and breaking camp in the rain). ;-)
Cheers, T i m
T i m wrote:

Just watched Grand Designs Australia
<http://www.channel4.com/programmes/grand-designs-australia/on-demand/65965-003
In the Queensland rainforest. They had a large engineered tensile cover, erected first, which made the rest of the build a little tricky.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

Dry Ridge Tiles.
Pairing a wireless thermostat to the boiler.
Putting (chipboard) kitchen worktops on lawn for a few hours.
On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 22:13:05 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

Only very minor compared to some of the other posts, but I read the manual for our new Worcester Bosch combi and it said that it would need an additional external expansion vessel.
Plumber seemed amazed that I had read the manual, but agreed to add one to the pipework (never done that before.....).
Can't remember now if it was on the heating or on the cold feed, nor why it was required.
But fits in with not reading instructions.
Cheers
Dave R