Which CU?

Looking for a CU for a restricted space, but screwfix's offerings look exce ssively bulky. Needs to house 6 MCBs, split would be a plus. Already have l ots of Hager MCBs stocked, which I gather fit... I can't find my notes, tha t's a bit of a problem. IIRC they fit several brands. Contactum & MK are li sted on the wiki, but there were many more brands they fit as well.

OK, am looking for something tight on space, a bit of a c- rather than nice & spacious. And metal not plastic. Absolute max width 11.5", 11" would be better. Oh, and the world for sixpence. Any suggestions?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Hager also do a range of metal CU's, the Metal 10 100A 6 way is 219mm wide. Cost circa £50.

Reply to
Ash Burton

excessively bulky. Needs to house 6 MCBs, split would be a plus. Already ha ve lots of Hager MCBs stocked, which I gather fit... I can't find my notes, that's a bit of a problem. IIRC they fit several brands. Contactum & MK ar e listed on the wiki, but there were many more brands they fit as well.

nice & spacious. And metal not plastic. Absolute max width 11.5", 11" would be better. Oh, and the world for sixpence. Any suggestions?

That was the first thing I looked at. Seller said 'Exact width 29.8 cm heig ht 24.5 and depth at deepest point i.e. Including front cover 9.8cm'. Where are you seeing one 219mm wide?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Ash Burton

k excessively bulky. Needs to house 6 MCBs, split would be a plus. Already have lots of Hager MCBs stocked, which I gather fit... I can't find my note s, that's a bit of a problem. IIRC they fit several brands. Contactum & MK are listed on the wiki, but there were many more brands they fit as well.

n nice & spacious. And metal not plastic. Absolute max width 11.5", 11" wou ld be better. Oh, and the world for sixpence. Any suggestions?

height 24.5 and depth at deepest point i.e. Including front cover 9.8cm'. W here are you seeing one 219mm wide?

It doesn't show a picture of the unit open, so hard to be sure but I suspec t I know what the problem is. I bet it has 6 ways after the 100A switch is in, 4 of those would be taken up by 2x RCDs leaving only 2 ways for MCBs.

I looked at Hager's pdfs for metal CUs and they were remarkably unhelpful. A table of dimensions with no decipherable information as to what CU each s et applied to! Why so many sellers don't include the basic necessary inform ation I'll never know.

Unfortunately I haven't found anywhere near here that sells Hagers yet.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

TLC sell them, but there may not be a branch near you.

Reply to
charles

Why not use RCBOs which are only 1 unit wide?

Reply to
charles

wE

no. Their range doesn't include any size suitable anyway. 2,3,4 & 14 ways.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That would work. But 6 RCBOs + enclosure comes to about £200. Bit pric ey.

Would a CU mounted turned 90 degrees pass an EICR?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

dennis

Would two CUs mounted one above the other (or elsewhere) work?

Reply to
John Rumm

You just need to decode what they have written!

All CUs have a CU size next to them and the size is given on pages 22 to

  1. A bit shit but the sizes are there.
Reply to
ARW

I was going to say "inches my arse" but I am not that way inclined:-).

Reply to
ARW

Yes.

Reply to
ARW

Plenty of 3ph boards have horizontal MCBs

Reply to
Andy Burns

But don't the electrons fall out of the main switch if that is not vertical?

Reply to
ARW

I think you copied the link below the full catalogue at

The weird thing is the way for Design 10 & 30 CUs they gives dimensions for the "enclosure size" (4, 5, 6 etc) leaving you to look back at earlier pages to see what that means in terms of modules (and AFAICS guess that size 2 = 4 mod and 3 = 6).

Reply to
Robin

ARW formulated the question :

No they seal the bottom of the board to prevent that.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

To be fair I did say it was a bit shit:-) As did NT.

And a lot of Hager stuff is stamped with "Made in France" on it.

Why not "Fabriqué en France"?

Reply to
ARW

same problem though. 2x RCDs would eat up 4 of those 6 ways.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr