Wylex, Volex or MK?

Wylex, Volex & MK, these seem to be the main choices on EBay and screwfix for consumer units. I have always perceived that MK are the best. Just wondered what everyone else thought.

Thanks

Reply to
Rob

I think that MK are the best of these, having fitted five of them. Same thing with the wiring accessories.

If you are going to use a fair amount of their stuff, as I have, it's worth going along to an electrical wholesaler like WF and negotiating a good discount.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I wasn't much impressed with the Volex. Not enough room inside the case. However, I thought my Contactum was very good indeed. I bought it because it had the cheapest RCBOs at the time.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I'd rate them: MK=best, Wylex=ok, Volex=budget I've used the Wylex split load kits from Screwfix and they are a doddle to install. The MK kits are not much more

Reply to
O.B.

I'm not so sure. The main thing against the Volex is that the internal wiring space is smaller than the other two (I'm looking at the three that Screwfix do). The MK has slightly nicer plastic which is easier to punch through for cable entry, but other than that I don't think there's a lot to choose. If you're fitting RCBOs then the Volex really only has room for the two-module variety while the others should be able to handle the single-module type which is taller than a normal MCB.

The Volex has power entry at left with RCD at far right.

The MK has power entry at left with RCD in the middle.

The Wylex has power entry at right with RCD in the middle.

Main entry to left or right might sway you, depending on existing configuration of meter etc.

For the Screwfix kits, the RCD on the Volex and Wylex is 63A while that on the MK is 80A. The supplied mix of MCBs is identical to all three.

The busbar on the Wylex clamps under the *screws* of the MCBs while the Volex and the MK clamp into the cable entry. Wylex's method means that you need to be very careful about buying additional MCBs as not all have a suitable slot for the busbar.

The busbar cover on the Wylex and the MK is a flimsy bit of plastic held in place by friction. That on the Volex clips directly onto the busbar itself. While this can leave the ends of the Volex busbar exposed, it does mean that it is possible to isolate the RCD side of the Volex and remove the busbar in order to swap an MCB without exposing the (live) busbar on the non-RCD side.

The split load kit on the Volex is enamelled solid copper bars. They can get in the way sometimes, particularly if you're trying to get 2x25mm2 incomers into the main switch. It's also not so easy to feel that you have tightened the screws sufficiently. The other two use flexible insulated cables with crimped "bootlace" ends.

At Screwfix at the moment, the Volex kit (with MCBs) is £12.50 cheaper than the Wylex, and £17 cheaper than the MK.

As for the wiring accessories, the biggest difference I have noticed with the premium brands (MK) over cheaper ones (apart from the standard of "finish") is that the part of the accessory behind the faceplate is often smaller. This is particularly true of light switches. You may find that this helps you to fit the cables more easily in to the back box.

HTH

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

Also on most if not all of MK's ranges, the terminals and entry angle for the wires allows them to be dressed neatly inside the box and avoiding sharp bends

Reply to
Andy Hall

MK have a habit of subtly changing the design so that in 10 years time a new MK MCB won't fit your now 10 year old MK CU... With Wylex on the otherhand you can get MCBs that will fit Wylex CUs that where orginally fitted with wired fuses... I've used Wylex without bother.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, I've been stung by that. I think the problem is that MK don't actually make the CU parts -- they are bought in to complement MK's other products. The current plastic CU cases aren't up to the same quality as most other MK products IMO; that's not to say there's anything wrong with them, but I generally buy MK because I want high quality, not average.

I don't have any major complaints about their breakers though, other than the incompatible design changes over time. Sometimes they don't do a particular breaker rating I want, which rules their product out in that case.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I bought a Crabtree off Ebay, and was very pleased - very easy to wire. Depending on where you are in the country, extra MCBs etc might be difficult to get off the shelf, so make sure you get all you need from the seller.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

More stupidity. You buy electrical equipment that you can easily get parts fro locally. Boy are some real dumb!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You're very unlikely to *ever* need spare parts for a consumer unit. Or not a decent make. Unless, of course, you've attacked it with your hacksaw.

Just back from the pub again? Be nice if you could post here when sober and in right mind, once in a while. As if.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yup, I have done a few contactum ones. As you say loads of space. The plastic is a tad perhaps not as nice as some but it does the job.

(The Hager insulated CUs are OK as well - (the metalclad may be but I have not used on of them)).

Reply to
John Rumm

Given that you'd break near anything when installing a new CU I can see your point.

Hint 1. You really don't need a hacksaw for this.

Hint 2. You need to know what you're doing.

Hint 3. Probably everyone reading here already knows this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

He doesn't want to buy products available locally. This is true. Where do you buy your electric cabers? From mail order caber shops? Internet caber shops?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I have fitted a few Click CUs in the last month and found them to be superb for space although I still prefer Crabtree if price is not an option.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Of course the obvious question would be to ask about when and where you last installed - or changed - a CU, so we'd know where to send the fire brigade since you seem to think they protect the feeder cable, given your posts on another thread.

Crabtree have always been a company who design their products well. Unlike many others. And I was very pleased with their design of their CU - easy to wire with plenty of space.

But you simply buy the most heavily advertised and discounted anything. What a fool.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Years ago when I was doing lots of electrical installations I really preferred Crabtree for everything. And it was readily available 'down sauf' But now, few wholesalers here stock their full range.

I've often wondered why.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

He still doesn't want to buy electrical products available locally.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel