Wylex or Volex Consumer units?

Hello All, Does anyone have any opinions about the pre-assembled consumer units offered by Screwfix? I'm lookng at a Wylex with a 63A RCD and 100A DP switch

  • 10 mcb's, and a Volex that apparently offers exactly the same, though the first is about £74, and the second £60. Is it the build quality??/ Any opinions gratefully received,

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

I have found the Volex equipment to be slightly more flimsy than the other makes, if that's any help.

Reply to
BigWallop

Just finished ;-) fitting a Wylex (from Screwfix as it happens), no problems. Case is a bit bendy, but OK.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Chesters

I have used Wylex many times over the years - it is very robust. BTW - have you had a look in B&Q, they had some superb deals on for pre-assembled MK & Wylex CU's.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Screwfix have good deals on several pre-assembled, but wanted more for an empty MK than Screwfix did for the pre-assembled version ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , andrewpreece writes

The Wylex one is much nicer. Better design & more internal space.

Reply to
Steven Briggs

[sorry cancelled attempt lost something in the editing]

Screwfix have good deals on several pre-assembled, but B&Q wanted more for an empty MK than Screwfix did for the pre-assembled version ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

It does ? I'd hate to see the Volex then as the insides of my pair of Wylexes are stuffed full. Certainly no room for individual RCBOs.

Reply to
Mike

I find RCBOs make the wiring up simpler, rather than more complicated, as the live and neutral go to approximately the same place, rather than snaking their different paths.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

In message , Mike writes

Yes. The Wylex is about 15-20mm taller than the Volex, and that extra height manifests itself as extra space in the wiring area above the MCBs. I had 2 volex units from SF that both arrived broken. At one point I had a Volex & Wylex side by side at work, (the Wylex just delivered, the broken Volex ready to be sent back). All my Engineering colleagues instantly agreed the Wylex was a much better unit. A problem with the Volex was that the scrap of DIN rail the breakers are on is close to the back, i.e. very tight to get the cables behind if you had bottom entry routing.

Reply to
Steven Briggs

Must have been one of their loss leaders ... in my B&Q warehouse they were selling 16 way and split load 16 ways cheaper than I have bought them at wholesalers.

They were the same with cement about a year ago - cheaper than the builders merchants where I have trade accounts.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Thanks All, I've got the Wylex: in fact, I belatedly consulted the uk.d-i-y archive after I posted since I couldn't see my post come up, and the discussions in the archive tend to favour the Wylex over the Volex as well, though of course, the Wylex is a bit more expensive.

cheers,

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

I suppose that might help more than I imagine, but it just seems a lot more crowded than the MEM unit I had in my last place. I kept that really tidy and I keep thinking I've screwed up somewhere wiring the Wylex. In the end I reversed the earth numbering so it was the same order as the neutrals rather than a mirror and that helped a bit.

Reply to
Mike