Consumer [Unit] Choice

I am considering turning the calendar back to 2004 to do some electrical work but can't make up my mind which consumer unit to install. The Screwfix catalogue has at least 4 that would suit so has anyone any comment on the reliability or otherwise of the units listed below.
Wylex flexible split 12 way at 72.50 Volex split 12 way at 58.98 Crabtree split 10 way at 69.87 MK split 12 way at 74.94
Pricewise all much of a muchness.
I need at least 9 circuits but would prefer 10.
I am puzzled by the variation in description. If the blurb is to be believed the Wylex only has 9 ways although the illustrations appear to show at least 10 for all of them. The MK is a 6 - 4 split and I presume the RCD side is the 4 but if it is 6 then it will not be suitable.
--
Roger Chapman

I fitted 3 Volex one over the last 2 years or so. They are just fine, although the plastic feels a little on the cheap side. But then again, who cares about that really?

Buy the MK one, but go for the size larger than you think you will need, because eventually you will. 2004 is going to last a long time....
--

.andy

Why the MK one in particular? Screwfix at least do not list a larger variation.
And do you know if the split is 4 to the RCD or 6?
I was tending towards the Crabtree if only because they are offering 5 double sockets with it and I need some more sockets but that is a 5-5 split while I would prefer only 4 on the RCD.
I am a bit disapointed by the small number of responses but thanks anyway to all who have replied.
--
Roger Chapman

Roger wrote:

There's a much wider range then stocked by Screwfix - MK literature here: http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/PDF/technical/SENTRY_prod.pdf
Must say I don't like their current rather bulbous-looking design for the housing front. The older flat smoked acrylic fronts were much nicer, IMHO, but MK continue to have a wider range of accessories than many of the other manufacturers.

Most, if not all, systems are flexible in this respect. BTW you should only have socket circuits on the RCD side.

I can't help thinking you'd be better off going to a local wholesaler where you can see exactly what you're going to get.
--
Andy

I will have a look at that.

The Volex and Crabtree ones I quoted do appear to be fixed proportions.

It was my intention to put the three ring mains and the immersion heater on the RCD side. Is the immersion heater a dubious choice?
The other circuits would be: 1. Sub main to barn, 2 and 3 lighting circuits, 4 freezer, 5 alarm and 6 boiler. If possible the old 8 way consumer unit will be recycled to the barn (like its 3 way fusewire predecessor) with 2 RCBOs to give the protection there.

I might just do that, my current consumer unit (Vynckier) was sourced locally. But I am not sure how good a deal (or how wide a choice) I can get locally and living on a small pension means the choice is often either cheap or nothing.
--
Roger Chapman

Roger wrote:

Somewhat, since it doesn't usualy *need* an RCD (apart from TT installations where all circuits need RCD of some form) and is one of the appliances noted for being a cause of nuisance tripping.

Sounds sensible. The 3 way fusewire one can then be sold on Ebay to some sad collector of electrical junk.
Owain

Extremely sad I should think. Do people really pay good money for such junk?
--
Roger Chapman

Roger wrote:

The Ebay traders' motto is "I buy tat and sell curiosities and collectables"
Owain

Absolutely agree. The build quality is significantly lower than the older smoked acrylic front ones, and there's less space inside. MK buy them in now, apparently. I still have very high regard for the stuff they make themselves though.
--
Andrew Gabriel

I am stumped for a local MK suppler. Of the 2 major wholesalers locally CEF do not do MK and Edmundsons don't want even their on-line catalogue sullied by a diyers dirty boots.
I have just about decided to go for the MK one with a spare busbar (only an extra 2.49) in case the unit comes with the busbar already split.
--
Roger Chapman

Roger wrote:

A local branch of Newey & Eyre would be worth a try, if you've got one.
--
Andy

A 40 minute (or more) drive away and the MK CU at Screwfix does seem to fit my requirements.
Thanks again to everyone who has responded.
--
Roger Chapman

I've bought from Edmundsons lots of times at the trade counter and they've never had any problem with that. WF is an MK stockist if you have one nearby.
--
Andrew Gabriel

from snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) contains these words:

No WF.
I wanted to check Edmundsons prices first to see how they compared with Screwfix when I came up against their 'register as an electrical contractor' firewall and they haven't responded to e-mail either.
--
Roger Chapman

Unit now delivered.
The pre assembly didn't go as far as the busbar so the extra busbar isn't required (unless I make a cockup of the installation or change the configeration at a later date).
--
Roger Chapman

I wouldn't buy from Screwfix, because the range is limited and prepackaged. IME, MK has the best consistent quality in electrical fittings and components.
I would suggest looking at TLC Electrical (on line) or go to a local WF branch. You can get MK Sentry consumer units in up to 20 way if you like and can choose exactly which MCBs you actually need.

--

.andy

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 12:16:15 +0100 someone who may be Andy Hall

Seconded. It is something they have maintained over many decades. Their equipment is usually a joy to work with, compared to certain other brands.
--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
David Hansen Wrote:

-- Cordless Crazy
Roger wrote:

??do these prices include MCBs?
tlc quote 32.85+vat for a 14 way split load Contactum (without MCBs)
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CMPS14slash80N.html
14 Way Split Board with 100A Switch + 80A 30mA RCD
split point is variable allowing 5 to 8 ways on the RCD side - you cut the Cu bus to suit your choice.
Other sizes are listed at proportionate prices.
Contactum is a high quality brand