MCB Recall - Electrium brands (Wylex, Crabtree, Volex)

Apologies if this has already been mentioned.

Details here:

Andy Wade

I do not think that it has been mentioned before. I did know about it and I am not very happy. That is a lot of MCBs that I have fitted

Can I point out that the NewLec (rebadged Volex) are also affected.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I hope Hager are in the clear!

Reply to
cynic

The French brand is in the clear.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I saw an announcement on the Screwfix web site but it only mentioned Volex and Wylex, not Crabtree. I bought some Crabtree MCBs but I am not sure which were bought in 2009 and which were bought before that. Is there a way of identifying affected MCBs: do they have a batch number or something printed on them, or am I best just to chnage the whole lot? Is it just the 6A and 16A that are affected, and what about RCBOs? Thanks.

Reply to
Fred

The Crabtree MCBs that have been recalled are not the ones that fit the Crabtree Starbreaker CU (ie the CU that SF sells) but the ones that fit the Loadstar.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I didn't get all mine from SF but since they were all for Starbreaker, I hope I am ok then. Thanks.

Reply to
Fred

Could be worse, knock-off Schneider MCBs from a couple of years ago

Andy Burns

Andy Burns wibbled on Wednesday 07 April 2010 23:05

Reply to
Tim Watts

Schneider had their own recall for RCBOs manufactured over a period in

2003/04.

The recent MCB recall is more serious, if the MCB does not disconnect the fault then the next upstream device is a 60-100A BS1361 fuse. Whilst an RCD/RCBO L-N imbalance can readily be checked by cheap equipment there is no similar end-user/installer verification tester for MCBs.

Reply to
js.b1