Grape Vine

Hi everyone

I am new to this forum and gardening in general and i need some advic about my grape vine. The vine was bought for me as a moving in presen and is very well established.

The trunk is approx 6"-8" thick and about 5ft tall. It is in a larg

3ft pot and it did have new growth on it (no grapes) when i received i but this was quickly broken off in high winds. The truck divides into branches in a 'Y' shape at the top with 2 or 3 pencil think branche coming out of each arm.....

I would like to train the vine against a wall if at all possible an wondered about how best to do this? I have bought some vine hooks to g into the wall with the idea of putting some paralell wires in. Is thi the correct thing to do? If not then what is? If so then how far apar to they need to be etc

I believe the vine was expensive (£150) and the last thing i want is t damage it as it looks really attractive just as an ornamental item.

Any help is much appreciated

-- mw80

Reply to
mw80

It sounds perfect for what you plan as does what you have proposed. The only qualification I would give is to make sure that you plant it in a spot where it will get full sun and you live in a very warm climate where you don't get freezing groudn in winter.

Reply to
FarmI

The best is a South facing wall, or at the very least a West facing wall. [ in the U. K. ] . If you live in a different area it may vary. The principle is that the wall warms up in the day and releases the heat at night. In victorian times walls were built in such a way that a fire could be lit inside the wall to keep plants warm. hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.

Reply to
R M. Watkin