Brush marks in gloss

Can I flat off and polish gloss paint in order to remove brush marks?

I'm trying to gloss paint the front panel of my dishwasher in order to match the colour of the kitchen. I've got a nice undercoat, by applying multiple coats and flatting it with wet-and-dry between, but can I do the same with the top coat?

Obviously, having flatted it off, it will no longer be gloss, but can I then polish it with rubbing compound or similar to get the gloss back?

What about paint additives such as Owatrol oil? Or shall I just add a splash of white spirit to the top coat?

Reply to
Huge

Its been my experience that attempting to paint appliances ends up isn tears with the paint peeling off in any case. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Give it a coat of gloss using a mini roller. Cheap as chips and you get the little tray.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

The theory is that you only apply one top coat, over flatted off undercoat.

Try thinning it or using a better brush!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

had some success wit sprayed on car paint.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Alkyd gloss is the wrong stuff for appliances. It's too soft & discolours over time. Get some paint for metal & spray it on to get a decent finish. A clear topcoat will extend its life if wanted.

You can use gloss & you can even brush it. But it's gonna look like crap & will peel too easily.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Didn't people paint cars with brushes at one time? Coach painting. They produced some fantastic results.

Reply to
GB

I had a friend who used Valspar enamel on his Morris van. It looked quite good.

Reply to
charles

Yup - in the hands of skilled experts. Usually vehicles that have been brush painted with alkyd gloss look pretty rough.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Hmm, the problem is keying it into the existing finish without making it bubble or come off. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Fair point. I had a fridge and freezer painted by the local spray shop. That worked okay, except they couldn't quite match the colour of the household gloss paint we were using.

Reply to
GB

I found some appliance paint in B&Q while gloss in a spray can it was OK, I only wanted to cover up some bits of rust at the bottom of the door, and it was in a bargin bin.

It wasn't this which seems a bit pricey.

whisky-dave

About 20 years ago the people renting the house opposite my residence were running a used car business from the road. They used to buy? MOT failures or scrapped cars, spend the minimum time to fix any mechanical problems and then paint them with house-hold paint and roller.

The day the authorities came around on mass to book the cars on the yellow lines they must have been tipped off because all their stock disappeared overnight and returned the day afterwards.

Reply to
alan_m

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'm cross about this. You avoided any chance of a spelling or grammar error yourself by the simple expedient of only posting a link, without any explanation or comment. That's not fair.

Reply to
GB

Hey, I didn't add the sarky "you're welcome".

Reply to
Andy Burns

35 years I painted a ?150 Mk3 Cortina using a roller and cheap gloss paint. It looked outstanding and I got compliments about it. I got 6 years out of that K reg rotbox.
Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

The last Cortina I passenged wandered all over the place.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I had my MkIII for 13 years! I had to replace the front wings, but they were bolted on, so not too dificult.

Reply to
charles

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 21:25:47 -0000, charles wr= ote:

Aren't all wings bolted?

-- =

Riots in Birmingham last month caused over =A31 million worth of improve= ments.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword