Aquatech Gloss not opaque after 1 undercoat 1 gloss coat. Glidden Trade acrylic.

Hi,

I've been using Aquatech Gloss and undercoat on interior gloss woodwork. After painting some gloss white woodwork that hadn't been painted for 20 years so it was faded so compared to the new brilliant white. I put one coat of undercoat on the one of gloss. In places I could faintly see the previous colour through the new paint if you looked closely. It says on the tin that you should apply one or two coats of both undercoat and gloss. If I had to put on two coats of each this would drive me insane as I would feel I'd never finish the entire interior of the house.

Is Glidden Trade Acrylic any better in terms of opacity. I'm considering just doing the place with a single coat gloss paint (Could you please recommend one that will give a good finish).

I started out with the thought of painting with it in mind that I would stay in this house for a long period of time in the future so I got the acrylic stuff. Circumstances have changed and will probably move in 12 months time. So the paint has to look good for 12-24months until we sell.

Reply to
wrreisen

Acrylic undercoat isn't anywhere near as opaque as a solvent based alternative. The opacity is found in the top coat.

I use Glidden Trade Acrylic and Glidden Trade Acrylic Primecoat Undercoat/Primer. I like it, but I don't expect the undercoat to have any obliterating power. It is basically providing a base for the real paint, which does.

I hope you've truely rubbed down the old gloss to give a good key. Water based paint will not stick to shiny old gloss paint.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I'm using Focus Superior Non-Synthetic brushes. Would it really make a difference using Synthetic brushes? In what way?

Christian McArdle wrote:

Reply to
wrreisen

It would make little difference. I prefer non-synthetic, but I'm not really that bothered. The main issue with brushes, I find, is whether they shed bristles all over the place.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thanks.

I used 166 grit glass paper with a bosch orbit sander. It said in the instructions to use 180 Grit for preparing surfaces for painting. I don't think that would make much difference would it?

Reply to
wrreisen

As long as you get the shine right off, it should be fine.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle