Brass Wing Nuts for Toilet Seat

Does anyone know where I can buy a couple of brass (or stainless) wing nuts to replace the crappy plastic ones supplied with my new toilet seat. I dont know the size yet (i will check tomorrow).
The placky ones will not tighten down hard enough without stripping the thread.
All the suppliers I have found want to sell me a box of 100.
The message

Go to Homebase and buy their cheapest seat at under 10. It has quality plastic fittings and is actually much better than seats at three times the price.

I have found the problems on the new Homebase Toilet seat. (BTW It is one of the Homebase cheaper ones). The hinge and hinge pins are a sloppy fit leading to a seat that moves about 50mm either way. This is in the manufacture.
Load of crap. Wont buy from Homebase again.
The message

The best and the worst toilet seats I've ever bought have both come from Homebase.
I don't like Homebase. However -- and I run a caravan site -- I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face. I'll buy from Homebase if that's where I can get what works and I can't get it at as good a price elsewhere. To date I've bought seven of the seats in question and they're all great. The same seat is widely used by small hotels for the same reason as I buy it. It fits easily and is virtually indestructable.

Last toilet seat I bought from Homebase turned out to be a repackaged return. With stains...!

Did they charge extra for the pre-sale testing certification?
Merryterry wrote:

Believe it or not they do this on purpose.. Brass or SS nuts can be tightened to the point where the ceramic cracks, so they supply plastic ones that strip if you over tighten them. The sloppy fit is to allow for adjustment - the people who make the seats are not the same people who make the pans.
Get the seat in the right place, mark with pencil. Apply liberal amount of silicone under fitting, do up plastic nut hand tight, leave for an hour....
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
Merryterry wrote:

I suspect your best bet is to find you friendly local quality ironmongers who may be able to help or otherwise point you in the right direction.
Failing that you might try a chandlers for S/S or http://www.a2a4.co.uk
HTH