Conical Rubber Washers for WC Seat Fittings

Does anyone know where I can purchase some cone shaped rubber washers for fitting on the long thread that retains the hinge brackets of a WC Seat?

I spent a fortune on an upmarket WC seat and no matter how many times I tighten the wing nuts underneath they come loose and the seat keeps moving out of alignment. The previous seat had conical rubber washers underneath that self aligned in the holes in the pan. Wish I had kept them.

Reply to
Merryterry

You could probably use the plastic washers from a basin fixing kit (see

You might try spring lock washers in conjunction with plain steel washers and if neither of these works you could use 'Nylok' nuts (instead of the wing nuts) which will never come loose although you might still need some kind of locating washer to prevent the seat sliding around.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

(seewww.screwfix.co.uk). You might try spring lock washers in conjunction with

Thanks for reply. The Screwfix kit is exactly similar to the fittings supplied with the seat. Because there is nothing to centralise the oversize holes in the pan it all goes on the slide no matter how tight the nuts are. I might have to resort to silicone sealant underneath the top washer. Thanks for trying to help.

Reply to
Merryterry

Are they proper metal wing nuts or those horrible nylon things that strip their thread as soon as they're tightened to any extent?

Tip - get someone to sit on the seat while tightening the nuts (apologies if this is stating the bleedin' obvious).

-- Halmyre

Reply to
Halmyre

do you mean like this:

is the whole fitting, but maybe you can find just the washers.

Hope this helps...

dedics

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic

Do the hinges have a bar that connects them together at the back of the seat? In my experience that makes for a much more stable fixing.

I recently replaced out two loo seats with some top quality solid wood types - but they each came with two separate hinges. The answer was a bar hinge, bought on eBay for £6.99, very good quality and nicely chromed.

Reply to
Bruce

Could you modify a bored rubber stopper as used in a wine-making bubble-lock?

(eg like this

Reentrant

Silicone is the best solution as you may not need it central - Silicone will let it stay where you want it.

Reply to
John

How about squirting silicone sealant into the hole while the seat bolt is in place and the seat lined up, maybe squirt some in before fitting the seat - then top up the gaps. When set this will act much like a cone shaped washer. Then just fit a washer and nut and tighten up to compress the set silicone even more.

Toilet seat fixings are generally a pain in the bum ;)

Reply to
DavidM

You sound like you want these. I've replaced all my toilet seat fittings with these and they work much better.

need to tighten the wing nuts after a week or so, and they do eventually work loose after that, but they're much better than the standard ones.

If you want new rods as well they do another item with those included.

Piers Finlayson

Here's a better link:

is capitalism at its best, or worst, depending on your point of view... sell a couple of bits of rubber, that cost pennies, for £3.75 including postage. Nice business.

Reply to
Bruce

And two wing nuts and two washers, but they are zinc plated. The loo is pretty hostile enviroment for steel. I'd much rather have brass but even that corrodes near a loo. Stainless?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice