fibre or rubber washers?

Hi,

I see Tool station sell rubber and fibre washers:

one better than the other?

My instinct is that rubber would be longer lasting?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

Different materials with different properties for different applications. It depends what you want to use the washer for.

If there is a lot of clamping pressure on the washer, the fibre washer would be best. The rubber washer would be extruded and destroyed.

I would expect fibre washers to have the longer life for a given, suitable application.

Reply to
Spike

and

> is one better than the other?

Fibre washers are used in tap connectors & some washing machine hoses because the fibre swells up when wetted & seals better.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks. I knew than fibre washers like these are used in tap connectors:

ones like these are used in flexible hoses:
never knew why until now, thanks for explaining.

BTW I put the links above because I didn't know how else to describe the two. The O shape of fibre is wider on the second.

I was wondering whether I would need to fit one of the wider (second link) ones, inside one of these:

it necessary? Will it weep without one? Or will a good wrap of ptfe tape make everything ok?

The other reply says rubber will be squashed under compression, so I guess fibre is always better? I have only seen rubber, never fibre, in washing machine hoses but then I don't see as many as you do.

Thanks.

Reply to
Fred

Last year I think it was I fitted a replacement fibre washer to a dripping plumbing connection, and despite repeated attempts with gloop and a few different washers it simply would not seal. I was far from confident that a rubber one would be strong enough, but by now was willing to try it. Worked perfectly first time. So don't get too hung up on what you 'should' use, its best to have both in stock.

NT

Reply to
NT

> Is it necessary? Will it weep without one? Or will a good wrap of ptfe

I reckon it would need one.

Most WMH have rubber, but some have fibre. I carry both & replace like for like.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Just as NT said. If it's good enough for the two of you, that's what I will do also. Thanks.

Reply to
Fred