Plastic Lids for Round CH and Water Tanks

Hi all

I have a 1970s house which has stored domestic water tanks (x2) and central heating header tank (all of which are round). The sizes appear to be imperial @ 30" and 18" diameter respectively. Does anyone know a source for suitable lids for these. ATM they have sagging ply or formica-type covers with insulation thrown over. Since a CH upgrade the header tank is getting quite a bit hotter than previously and I would rather not have hot water vapour condensing on the roof trusses.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Try Plumb Center, BES, basically a proper plumbers/builders merchant rather than a shed.

The header tank shouldn't be getting hot maybe just a little warm

*if* there is lot of expansion to handle. Hot indicates circulation through the header tank (pump over) which should not be happening.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I tried getting a lid years ago. The tanks were obsolete patterns, the lids were not available and, even if they were, the plastic tanks would have stretched in use to the extent that the lid wouldn't fit. You cannot get a snap-tight seal, that is required to keep dirt out and condensation drips in, with a fabricated lid. The lids were probably used to mix plaster in. The only option is to fit new tanks.

Make sure they are continuously supported, preferably on WBP ply.

Reply to
Onetap

Actually *marine* ply is suggested! And 15mm thickness - never seen that.

Ase onetap says the correct way is to fit new tanks. Is that going to happen?

On a planet closer to mine one might get some of that corrugated plastic type stuff they make estate agents' signs out of (hmmm, wonder where you could get that? ;-)[1]) and make a disc the right size and duct-tape it to the tank. If you want to get fancy you could cut a smaller access hole in the disc and make an overlapping cover, maybe velcro-ed on....

To fully comply with curent regs you would refit the overflow to the tank with the gizmo with a fly-screen out of a byelaw-30-kit.

[1] actually you can get large sheets of it sold as temporary floor protection during building work, from SELCO and doubtless elsewhere
Reply to
YAPH

Plastic dustbins are a fairly standard size at about 18" or 19" diameter. I think Wickes sell the lids separately as they do for rectangular header tanks. In any case a complete bin is quite cheap.

If you can't get one from Wickes take a walk around your neighbourhood and look for one blowing in the wind. There's always one or two after a gale.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Thanks to all

Can't see the tanks getting replaced, so it looks like the dustbin lid and For-Sale-Sign solutions get my vote!

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

With "other solutions" think about where the condensation will run to. A dust bin lid would need to ne used upside down other wise the condensation will run down to the edge of the tank and by capilary action down the outside of the tank. Similary a flat sheet but not quite as bad.

I'm wondering is some poly sheet, heavier than bin liner but not as heavy as floor DPC, would be better. With a small weight in the middle to ensure that "down" is inside the tank, Fixed by binding with string (if there is a suitable lip on the tank top edge or possibly gaffer taped.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's exactly what I've done - heavy duty polythene sheet from Wickes, ring of duct tape round the tank 6 inches below the top. No need to weight it, the sheet has enough sag in it to create a dip in the centre.

if the CH header tank is getting warm maybe think about turning the pump speed down a click.

Reply to
pcb1962

Corrugated sheet will bow down in the middle so condensation will drop off into the tank.

Reply to
YAPH