Bosch quiet shredder

I bought a Bosch AXT 1600 quiet shredder several years ago after many rave reviews in this group. It's had a lot of use and now the helical cutter is getting blunt and has a few nicks, which may be why it's started to jam more. Maybe I'm too impatient and shred stuff that's too green, but I'm sure it used to cope when new. I guess it would be pretty difficult to sharpen the cutter.

Anyway I had planned to replace it with an AXT 2200 that uses cogs rather than the mincer mechanism, but now I see there's an AXT25D that's more powerful yet cheaper than the 2200. Anyone have one yet?

Reply to
Reentrant

Not answering your question, but I had a similar problem with my older AXT2000 model[1] - that uses the same helical mechanism as yours. I ordered a new helix from Healeys tools, and that fixed it. It was not particularly cheap - but much cheaper than a new shredder.

[1] It was getting blunt anyway, but my mate borrowing it and then accidentally feeding it a bit of angle iron was the final straw!
Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks. Can't think what tool you could use to cut up angle iron ;-)

I looked on the Healey site and a new blade is £56 . Not sure if that includes postage without registering. I can collect a new 25D at Argos for £195 (cheapest I've found) but that may be worth it for a much more powerful shredder with a better design.

Reply to
Reentrant

Just to add my own "not to answer you question" thought.

We bought a pretty crappy cross-cut shredder and used it for several months. It did the job, noisily. One day, instead of emptying the shreddy stuff in the bin (no bin bags!), I popped it in the logburner and put a match to it. A large lightbulb appeared above my head and we haven't used the shredder since.

You might well say Duh...

readthisbot

How did it work at shredding branches and other garden waste?

Steve Firth

The Helix seems to be about £65 inc VAT at most places. There's also an "insert" £4 which seems to get replaced at the same time.

I'm glad that our shredder is one of the spinning disk type with a blade that can be sharpened and replaced for pennies if necessary.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Especially now I realise that you were talking about garden shredders.... Strewth....

Reply to
readthisbot

The attraction of the helix or cog type is they self feed and are fairly quite. The spinning disc ones are better on soft green stuff though IME.

Reply to
John Rumm

Blimey, no angle grinder suggestions? :-)

Darren

Reply to
dmc

If you can live without the Bosch name, you can get a quiet shredder at B&Q or Lidl for =A399 these days.

Reply to
mike

I can answer my own question - no-one has one according to

I got an AXT 2200 from Axminster for £179.95 inc. delivery. That's quite a lot less than elsewhere but sod's law says someone else is even cheaper.

Reply to
Reentrant