Bosch cooker lining - oxylitic worth it (not pyrolitic)

Mother's old creda standalone fan oven cooker is on its way out. A top model for its time re solarglo grill & hob, fan oven, catalytic liners. However 16yrs old it has rusted holes, various screws near the bottom have fallen out from perforation, rust blisters all over the doors, sides, front & hob rear (fortunately it is brown so they blend in!). The top fan is grinding not just resonating. The oven fan is shrieking like a banshee. Door seal is on the way out.

Quite a lot to repair, replace - particularly at her age. Then there is the cooker :-)

Current alternatives seem dire in quality from play-n-twiddles despite high prices.

Bosch 2009 standalone cookers (B) are not actually fan ovens, they are "2D" airflow. Bosch 2010 standalone cookers (A) are fan ovens, with "3D" airflow.

One big factor in price is the lining - oxylitic adds about =A380-90. Pyrolitic is the 480oC stuff from Miele/Bosch that DOES work at a huge premium.

Are oxylitic linings worth it - =A3520 becomes =A3635, that's =A3115 off a better washer?

Reply to
js.b1

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 22:57:14 +0100, js.b1 wrote (in article ):

I think they work. We have oxylytic on the top and back only. They are noticeably cleaner than the sides. Wish we'd gone for all round linings but there you go. Still, the back and especially top are the hardest to clean, and the top gets dirtiest, so perhaps it's not all bad.

Reply to
Colin Harper

Thanks, will telephone Bosch and see where the linings are.

The 2009 Bosch cookers had them top, rear & sides. The old Creda has them rear & sides - but not top bizarrely.

Reply to
js.b1

We've had several Bosch cookers over the years, all with the Bosch catalytic liners, which they brand as oxylitic. They have been good, but I'm not sure if they are suitable for someone old to use. This holds true for all catalytic liners.

To clean the oven it must be run empty at a high temperature from time to time. Is your mother likely to do this? Bear in mind that when the oven is run hot to clean it, it smokes quite heavily. It's better if the installation has a proper extractor hood which vents externally (i.e. not a recirculating cooker hood).

The other brand that we have been happy with is Baumatic. It's built in Italy despite the slightly Germanic sounding name but the quality is good. The negative with Baumatic is that very few models have catalytic liners available. The positive is that they are well built and relatively cheap.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I dont know whether you mean at the same property, if so that would be pretty damning. Hopefully not though.

NT

Reply to
NT

The existing cooker cleans by the same method, empty, 2hrs on max. Cooker hood is extractive so not a problem there, fortunately.

Will look, it needs to be standalone electric.

A "novel" thing about Bosch is door-shut grill, no pan-handle-tray. That ironically could be quite useful, if not she gets a toaster :-)

One big downside is most grills seem to be "MICS element", the Creda has a Solarglo grill which is much faster. I know this because I bought the parts list to upgrade from "MICS" to "Solarglo". So I think a toaster will be due anyway re warm up time.

Reply to
js.b1

One big downside is most grills seem to be "MICS element", the Creda has a Solarglo grill which is much faster. I know this because I bought the parts list to upgrade from "MICS" to "Solarglo". So I think a toaster will be due anyway re warm up time.

As heat rises I have thought that toasters are more efficient anyway.

Re: Cheese on toast - I pop it into the microwave for 30 seconds to melt the cheese. Not quite the same - but not bad.

Reply to
John

Well, hot air rises but toasting bread needs radiant heat which isn't interested in up or down so that doesn't affect efficiency. On the other hand the elements of the average toaster heat up quicker than a grill so there's an energy saving there.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Bit here and there that feature. It's a grill pan with a handle that detaches. If it's still the same design it's NBG for people with arthritis or rheumatism. Has to be tried to be appreciated.

Reply to
Steve Firth

No, we moved house a few times and my wife had a Bosch discount via work.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Bosch described it as a tray - anything can be put under the grill. They did not mention a detachable handle or similar "apparatus" :-)

So in that respect it is like handling any oven tray, I think.

Reply to
js.b1

Yes, that sounds like the one. You have to consider how the tray is to be removed from the oven. Ours came with a bizarre two-handled contraption that slots over one edge of the tray and can then be used to lift it. But it needs two hands, the tray is enamelled steel and very heavy and the handle isn't secured to the tray in any way other than clipping onto one long edge.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Is it not possible to use a smaller tray and just oven gloves? That is to say, as you would remove a tray of roast spuds?

She is unlikely to use the grill, anything slower than Slowlarglo means a toaster would be purchase #2 whatever is bought :-)

Reply to
js.b1

It wouldn't fit the runners.

All I can say is try it, it doesn't work for me and my wife.

Ah righto.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Ah, that information is very useful - thanks.

Will try/need to find a Bosch before I buy. She does not use the grill, but an unusable grill is something to avoid. Temporary repair first whilst I look around then. Thanks.

Reply to
js.b1

You're welcome.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Had very unhappy experiences with Baumatic, British company with assembley anywhere cheap including Italy and Turkey, thing is designs change so often high likelyhood of getting a parts bin special with all the spares available used to assemble yours, in its own speshul way.

Don`t even go there on customer service, made Currys look like the Red Cross.

In the end sold the Baumatic rubbish for scrap and replaced it with Neff, not cheap like Baumatic and the styling is staid, but the construction quality is fully in a different universe from Baumatic and Neff customer service is truly excellent.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Have you, how sad.

I've only had Italian built appliances from them. Assembly in Italy isn't cheap BTW.

Not my experience. I've not encountered any such approach and the likelihood seems low, if as you say the design had changed.

The only time that I needed customer support was when I broke a part from a cooker hood. I called the help line with my call being answered almost immediately. The service centre sent me a bag containing a new fitting kit for that model of cooker hood. The spares arrived within 24 hours of my call.

Glad to hear that you like Naff. Personally I find their products ugly, over-priced tat but hey ho, eh?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Perhaps my experience with Baumatic was an isolated one and/or things have improved since 10 years ago.

Neff will rarely win points for style and build ,spares and customer support have to be paid for.

Some kitchen appliances appear to be built as fashion items, expected to be dispensed with when a new kitchen is fitted with changing fashions.Price being absolutely no guide to `quality`

Like having a brown TV when they all turned black, then silver , then black again..

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby