Boiler scrappage scheme "is financial madness for homeowners"

I changed from an RS boiler with cast iron heat exchanger and constant pilot light to a decent condenser with weather comp. The old system had reasonable controls - TRVs everywhere except the living room where a programmable stat was situated. Boiler had a pump over-run added. Stored hot water. Over a year, I'm using 20% less gas. My brother did a similar change - except that his system has no TRVs and only a basic stat, and the new one the same with no weather comp. He reports more like 25%.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What savings do you estimate the weather compensator has made for you?

I doubt that I would benefit from one due to my low gas usage but I am wondering about installing one at my Brothers house?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I would expect that a lot of the scrappage scheme users will also make additional savings with the installation of proper controls. A lot of the G rated boilers have gravity HW with no seperate time controls and in many cases an uninsulated cylinder.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Can't do that since I installed it more or less from the start. It was an 'upgrade', but I only ran the boiler in standard mode for a few days to check for leaks etc before upgrading and making a permanent job of the new wiring. I wouldn't even have done that but for having to order up the extra bits and them taking a few days to arrive.

What does seem to happen is the boiler doesn't cycle but just modulates up and down to keep things even.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My parents house had an insulated cylinder - installed in the '30s. Not using insulation for the cylinder is madness - unless the heat comes more or less for free, like in a wood burner supplied from your own land.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)