boiler scrappage

I had hoped to qualify for the government's boiler scrappage scheme so got a price to replace our boiler with a new high efficiency combi. I just found out to-day that although our old boiler is over 20 years old it has too high an efficiency (over 70%) to qualify. The old boiler is an Ideal mexico cuper 2 so that says something for the quality of this boiler. it is still working well and has a high efficiency level. We may still replace it but without a grant.

Reply to
Stewart

The scheme finished a while ago ??

Gio

Reply to
Gio

I wouldn't. I didn't know about the 70% rule, but I know that at least some of the people round here who have had their boilers changed, in one case twice, would change back if they could. Our glow worm was put in when the house, and the rest of the estate, was built in 1973/4. The council replaced all the boilers in the houses still in their possession some years ago. We didn't, and every year the guy who comes to service it says it's at 74 -

75%, and will go for years yet. I intend to keep it as long as possible.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Steve, thanks for the comment. Unfortunately it is a combination of circumstances that is leading to our decision to change the boiler. Our indirect hot water cylinder has a slight leak so will not last much longer, it is quite narrow in diameter so replacement would be difficult; also we have had continual trouble over the last 15 years with the zone valves, both for the central heating and for the hot water; one of them is defunct at present and needs replacing. So that combined with the age of our boiler has made us decide to go ahead and change to a combi, preferably a Worcester.

I wouldn't. I didn't know about the 70% rule, but I know that at least some of the people round here who have had their boilers changed, in one case twice, would change back if they could. Our glow worm was put in when the house, and the rest of the estate, was built in 1973/4. The council replaced all the boilers in the houses still in their possession some years ago. We didn't, and every year the guy who comes to service it says it's at 74 -

75%, and will go for years yet. I intend to keep it as long as possible.

Steve

Reply to
Stewart

I had a Worcester Bosch 24i Greenstar installed 5 years ago. When the system was designed I asked if the 24i was powerful enough and was assured that it was. We live in a 3-bed semi so it isn't a large property. The boiler was fine for the first 3 years then we started having problems with intermittent boiler shutdowns causing the hot water to run cold. Not very nice if someone is trying to have a shower. I got the Worcester Bosch engineer in as it had a 5 year guarantee. He changed the heat exchanger as it was scaled up (we live in a hard water area) but that didn't fix the running cold problem. So I asked on the UK Plumbing Forum and got several replies from plumbers who said that this problem is well known with the 24i, it isn't powerful enough and they always fit the higher output Greenstars. They suggested I throttle down the water supply to the boiler and that has fixed the problem. Why the boiler worked fine for 3 years with the water supply turned full on, then couldn't cope after 3 years, no one has been able to explain other than to say that the 24i is known for this problem. So my advice is to make sure that the boiler you have installed is powerful enough. This is an abridged version of a longer story!

Reply to
Rob Miller

Hi all, finally got a decision to-day; at government expense Scottish Gas are going to replace my old boiler with a new condensing boiler, replace our leaking hot water cylinder and replace the zone valves, pump etc, I am told that we will not have to pay!!! It is not what we expected but there will be very little disruption and why look a gifthorse in the mouth.

"Stewart" wrote:

Reply to
Stewart

Good luck to you. I'll try an take a little shine off your glee though by pointing out that the government doesn't have any actual money of its own. It's taxpayers like me who are paying for your boiler. You may well be paying for it yourself!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Good luck to you. I'll try an take a little shine off your glee though by pointing out that the government doesn't have any actual money of its own. It's taxpayers like me who are paying for your boiler. You may well be paying for it yourself!

Andy

Reply to
Stewart

At least you have paid into the 'system' which is more than can be said for some people. The politicians talk about reducing the burden of benefits whilst keeping quiet about their massive pensions, very generous expenses, subsidised restaurants and bars, freedom to smoke since they were careful to exclude the Palace of Westminster from the ban on smoking in public places legislation, and so on ......

Reply to
Rob Miller

The cost of means testing might be more than the cost of the benefits. Don't forget it is the civil service who would be operating such a system!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

To-day Friday 23rd fitters from Scottish Gas came and fitted the new boiler, cylinder, valves and pump all within 8 hours. They did an excellent job, left the house clean and all is working perfectly; again at no cost to us!!