Boiler scrappage scheme "is financial madness for homeowners"

Our gas bill was £350 for the period 10 Dec to 31 Jan.

1960s detached house, Vaillant Combi boiler (which in the cold weather can't quite get the hot water hot enough for our thermostatic shower, which always mixes in SOME cold, but it's OK for baths if you don't add any cold), 3 bedrooms, 2 occupants. And the house often still feels cold.
Reply to
chunkyoldcortina

Yeh - I've seen that done on Grand Designs. But no chance of getting the machine in here. Unless you lifted it over the house from the street. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well they can get hot tubs into the back gardens of terraced houses. Just needs a crane.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

ARWadsworth :

I thought that scam had been stopped.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

getting

Aye, but:

Dave Liquorice

:-)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In message , ARWadsworth writes

How else would you do it ?

Reply to
geoff

He did say over the last 10 years TBH ...

Reply to
geoff

Turn the SD1 upside down and use it as a winch ...

Reply to
geoff

I almost said that but then noticed the poster said "a garage" not "the garage" or "the dealer". They stopped the scam of insisting that servicing had to be done at an authorised dealership but I suspect you still have to have it "professionally" done rather than DIY.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I looked up a 37 year old boiler and was quite surprised to find it on the list. I didn't think they'd have lists of models from that far back.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

That's not really the way it works. You need to take into account inflation. In a simple model people assume inflation to be broadly similar to rate of return on an investment and hence the two cancel each other out.

It would only be if you decided to finance at a punitive rate such as

20% that you would really need to do a calculation.
Reply to
Nick

It'll sulk even more now. Doesn't like this cold weather. Pity I couldn't just fit one of your boards to get its heater working better. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yep. One of my neighbours did it! Maris

Reply to
Maris

Depends where you put your money. Index linked bonds and you should always get a positive return. But the nice round figures chosen were intended to be illustrative rather than definitive. Inflation is just one of the elements that bedevils attempts at a more precise calculation but ISTM that fuel inflation is a much greater factor. As already mentioned you could always shield your savings in inflation proof ways but price of gas could rise steeply over the life of the next boiler in marked contrast to some periods in the recent past where gas prices rose more slowly than the RPI or even fell post privatisation.

20% is hardly penal - some credit cards charge more. 200% would be but if loan sharks added only one nought they would probably consider themselves as being exceptionally generous. :-)
Reply to
Roger Chapman

That's about my annual gas bill for a 3 bed 1900 terrace, not especially well insulated. Detached has to be a significant variable, but the more obvious reason for the difference is probably how long the heating's on

- mine's just on an hour in the morning, and 5pm - midnight.

Reply to
Rob

Strange - mine thrived on its first german winter where the temp dropped to -27

No starting problems, toasty warm heater, even handled well on the ice and snow

Reply to
geoff

I'd guess my heater core may need cleaning. The car is 25 years old.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , Andy Cap wrote

The green lobby is not interested in the cost and you should not equate the reduction in CO2 emissions with the cost to achieve it. However, the green lobby often neglect to take into account the energy taken to manufacture something that goes to land-fill in a couple of years or the energy taken to support unreliable equipment.

Is the saving in energy consumption actually 30% or UP TO 30%? Very few people are going to have the "perfect" system that makes full use of the design features of the boiler.

Reply to
Alan

Obviously "up to", since you don;t know with what one is comparing. However compared to the poorest performing examples, 30% should be doable.

No indeed, although the building regs do insist on a certain minimum level of sophistication that means a new system ought not be operating particularly adversely. Note also that the SEDBUK ratings are seasonally adjusted and represent real world performance over the year and not just peak performance at the most optimal time.

Reply to
John Rumm