Boiler question

Dear All

Just wondering if anyone might be able to help. My boiler - which heats the water on demand is still delivering hot water, but not heating the radiators.

Any suggestions as to what might be up with it? My flat does not (to my knowledge at least!) have a thermostat.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
Richard Dixon

Is the (water) pump working?

Reply to
John Flax

Well that could be a cause - although for many makes that would also stop the DHW or make it very much less effective.

The simple things to check are for any external controls (the time switch might have gone down?). More probably it is the diverter valve see the main FAQ - combi boilers.

If you had posted the make and model there is a chance someone here would be familiar with that model's weaknesses.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I'd guess the 'heats the water on demand' refers to a combi.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

"Ed Sirett" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@makewrite.demon.co.uk:

I have a "Potterton Puma 80" boiler with a "Minder Es" timer which can be set to on/off/once a day/twice a day.

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated Richard

Reply to
Richard Dixon

In message , Richard Dixon writes

On what in particular?

The slide switch mechanism falls apart on the MiniMinder E

Puma 80 fan bearings (especially on the perm pilot version) have a tendency to die young

Puma modulation pcbs need no gas to provide heat, they burn well enough themselves

Are you going to sleep happier in your bed tonight now?

Reply to
geoff

10 to 1 on it's the wax pellet actuator on the end of the diverter valve. You may get the boiler to give you a week or two more heating if you a) Check for any dripping HW taps. b) Set the thermostat to maximum (which might cause other problems like causing the boiler to trip out on over-heat).

AFAIK you can only get a new actuator by buying the whole replacement diverter valve (c. £75). The new actuator is fairly easy to fit but will require a boiler draindown and turning of the cold mains. You'll need a small allen key to open the retiaining grub screws.

It should be fairly easy to eliminate the time switch with a neon tester.

Reply to
Ed Sirett