Boiler Cupboard

I want to build a cupboard around my boiler for aesthetic reasons. I was wondering if anybody had some helpful tips regarding materials, build structure etc. My only concern is over/under engineering the thing, or spending unneccessary time on the project.

A picture of my boiler can be found at:

requirements are:

1) A cupboard to hide away the boiler (it doesn't need to be too pretty

- it's in the utilty room)

2) Simple to build. 3) Cheap to build. 4) Strong enough not to fall apart if I knock it with the washing basket.

Thanks in advance

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

I was advised by a Corgi upon seeing my new 'boiler' cupboard that there should be some vents - safety regs in case of boiler overheating. May apply to you.

DIYSOS

Reply to
DIYSOS

There is an vent on the wall (which will be inside the cupboard) to the outside of the house.

Reply to
Charlie

============== Whatever you build you'll need a low level vent to complement the vent in the wall.

I think this is a situation where a simple MDF or chipboard structure is perfectly acceptable. Make sure that you allow sufficient room inside your cupboard to permit servicing.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Having seen the picture You will definately need a lot of ventilation to outside air.

You will need vents at high and low level. They will have to have a minimum free open area of 5cm^2 per kW of boiler input. However this boiler is an open flue type and will need another 5cm^2 / kW for the combustion air.

That boiler might be around 20kW but it could well be more.

Also I expect that you will need a mimimum 75mm clearance all around to any combustible materials (e.g. wood, ply, wall paper, mdf?)

If this were a modern room sealed boiler you would likely need no vents or such large clearances

HTH

Reply to
Ed Sirett

wall. Are the requirements you give additional to this?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

tml

Yes the cupboard vents are at high and low level whilst the combustion air supply doubles the low level vent.

So at least 10cm^2 /Kw at low level and at least 5cm^2/kW at high level. and 75mm clearance unless the instructions say otherwise.

Reply to
Ed Sirett