Anybody here using or have experience of a Baxi Bermuda BBU HE boiler?

This spring I intend to replace our very aged New World back boiler, as it is on it's last legs.

A back boiler would be the ideal and the Baxi Bermuda BBU HE seems to be the only player in the field.

15kw output would be adequate and much better than the existing, now inefficient, 11kw.

My main concern is regarding the boiler controls and fire front. It would appear the the boiler, proprietary flue and fire front are all separate items. Fair enough.

I need the boiler and flue but do not want any fire front. It would never, ever, be used.

It also appears that the fire front comes with boiler controls which plug into the boiler unit.

So, my Q's are:

1) does the boiler have sufficient inbuilt controls or is a fire front with attached controls a necessity? Baxi are not at all helpful in this.

2) are there any alternatives to the Baxi BBU HE for gas fired back boilers?

Many thanks,

Nick.

Reply to
Nick

The Instructions say

The Boiler Control operates the boiler remotely. This is supplied with the firefront and is fitted, in operation, to the firefront spacer frame.

IMPORTANT: To commission the boiler it is is necessary to remove the Boiler Control from the firefront packaging and connect it to the boiler at the upper right hand side (item 6).

unless you can get a firefront cheap, ditch the firefront and cannibalise the controls and refit them in an enclosure, you need a firefront. Or if you can make your own control - I don't know if they're just switches, or have electronic gubbins in the firefront.

You might be able to open up enough of the hearth and chimney breast to put an ordinary boiler in the recess and then put a panel over the front of it.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I quite often drink with the ex director of development from Baxi. I'll put the question to him, just don't hold your breath, it might be next week before I get back to you.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Dave wrote in news:igal9d$90q$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

HIC!

Heliotrope Smith

You really have to invite me along one day ...

Reply to
geoff

Waste of space mate. The ventilation requirements just leave you shivering. Get a room sealed boiler, ie wall hung, drawing air directly into it, not into the room where you're sitting.

Good point made - unless the ventilation can be very close to the boiler you will suffer a wind around your ankles.

Reply to
John

The Instructions say

The Boiler Control operates the boiler remotely. This is supplied with the firefront and is fitted, in operation, to the firefront spacer frame.

IMPORTANT: To commission the boiler it is is necessary to remove the Boiler Control from the firefront packaging and connect it to the boiler at the upper right hand side (item 6).

unless you can get a firefront cheap, ditch the firefront and cannibalise the controls and refit them in an enclosure, you need a firefront. Or if you can make your own control - I don't know if they're just switches, or have electronic gubbins in the firefront.

You might be able to open up enough of the hearth and chimney breast to put an ordinary boiler in the recess and then put a panel over the front of it.

Owain

Thanks very much. I suspect there will be electronics involved and doubt that will be by conventional switching., but have yet to find out.

How much control is required? I think these boilers work at a factory pre-set temp. and presumably it self ignites.

Hence the wording of my op. Someone, somewhere has one of these!

I'll look into fitting an ordinary boiler but that is a less preferred route.

Thanks again,

Nick.

Reply to
Nick

So what happens to the condensate?

Condensate will be routed to an outdoor gulley.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Thanks very much Dave,

I'm not intending to do this until March/April, so time is not of the essence. I would be very much interested to know what this chap might have to say.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Thank you,

this is a condensing boiler with dedicated balanced flue. Unless I am losing the plot (entirely possible) air intake and exhaust would be via that dedicated flue.

Thus there should be no in-room draught. The existing back boiler is supplied fresh air by ducting through an airbrick to external atmosphere, this would be left in place if necessary.

My O.P. is more to do with the firefront and connected controls.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick

I guess you owe him a pint or two.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

A friendly slap on the back together with "Keep up the bad work, old chap"... I guess being ex-Baxi, he's probably not from the Suprima side of the business though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

No, Potterton were Blue Circle at that time

Reply to
geoff

I showed Ian (the ex director of devekopment for Baxi) a print out of your post, he read it and advised getting a combi boiler and a gas fire. Obviously you don't want a gas fire, but that was the advie he gave. As for myself, I am clueless on this subject.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Thanks Dave, from what you write, the ex director of development for Baxi may not have much confidence in his old firm's product.

Probably more to be read tween the lines but food for thought nevertheless.

Thanks very much for your time and effort.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick

In message , Nick writes

Err ... what do you expect

still, them being crap keeps me in business

Reply to
geoff

Hi there

Please could I point out that the new condensing Baxi Bermuda BBU HE is not available with a gas fire, due to changes in the Building Regulations. It comes with a Valor Dimension electric fire, which is a very attractive fire with a realistic hologram which can be switched on for effect without producing any heat if you don't need it. You can find more information here:

I hope that helps. Let us know if you need any further information.

Baxi

Reply to
baxitprt

Hi there

Please could I point out that the new condensing Baxi Bermuda BBU HE is not available with a gas fire, due to changes in the Building Regulations. It comes with a Valor Dimension electric fire, which is a very attractive fire with a realistic hologram which can be switched on for effect without producing any heat if you don't need it. You can find more information here:

hope that helps. Let us know if you need any further information.

Baxi

Thank you Baxi,

I want a boiler, I don't want a gas fire or electric fire or even a hologram. From what I understand from the Baxi website and unhelpful conversations with Baxi staff I am led to believe that the boiler controls are supplied as a remote unit which is supplied with the fire front.

1) Please would you confirm if this is indeed the case?

2) Please advise if the boiler can be operated and controlled WITHOUT the fire front.

You manufacture and supply the things, so you should know.

Simples!

Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Hi Nick

I have checked with our product management department. Unfortunately, the new Baxi Bermuda BBU HE bundle only comes as a replacement for both an existing BBU unit and fire, and the boiler can't be used separately without the fire front. Sorry.

Baxi

Reply to
baxitprt