Boiler in a box

Hi all..

I own a tenanted cottage, which currently has a knackered back boiler as its method of heating and DHW. I was thinking of having a 'boiler-in-a-box' installed, as the least invasive solution?

Can the experts give me some pro's and con's for such a plan??

TIA tim.

Reply to
Tim..

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Tim.." saying something like:

A Heatpac type thing? Mostly pros afaic. Only downside is if you need to repair anything in the shitty weather, but really that's very unusual. Oh, frost stat is a must, of course.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Yes heatpac if that is the name! My thought was very little internal upheaval with installation etc....

Reply to
Tim..

If it's a gas fire / back boiler then Baxi have a condensing version with an electric firefront which fits in the existing hole, just needs a condensate drain adding.

If you change the boiler you may also need to upgrade the controls eg TRVs.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If it's a gas fire / back boiler then Baxi have a condensing version with an electric firefront which fits in the existing hole, just needs a condensate drain adding.

If you change the boiler you may also need to upgrade the controls eg TRVs.

It is an open fire currently... I am fine with upgrading the existing plumbing / cylinder / rads and TRV's etc. It wants some improvment work anyhow. :)

Tim

Reply to
Tim..

If it's a gas fire / back boiler then Baxi have a condensing version with an electric firefront which fits in the existing hole, just needs a condensate drain adding.

If you change the boiler you may also need to upgrade the controls eg TRVs.

Owain

I looked into the Baxi Bermuda BBU earlier this month as a possible replacement. Not quite so straightforward I'm afraid and V expensive. You have 3 separate items: boiler unit about £850, dedicated flue about £250, electric firefront about £300. The firefront killed it for me. I do not want/need a firefront, this one is all electric and not integrated to the boiler in any way. However, the boiler controls (on a wander lead) are supplied with the firefront and not the boiler. Baxi say the control unit cannot be purchased separately. Shame really, it looks a decent boiler.

HTH Nick.

Reply to
Nick