Finding the source of draughts

How do people go about this? There are the obvious windows and doors, and maybe floorboards, but what about tracking down the others?

I remember watching a "This Old House" once where the contractor pressurised the house with a fan - sealed over the front door frame - and then, with the increased pressure driving the airflow, set off a smoke generator and watched where the smoke went.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

TheOldFellow wibbled on Monday 28 December 2009 07:06

Candle flame is the classic way. The flame being very sensitive to air movements you cannot possibly feel.

Reply to
Tim W

And wait for the sound of fire engines coming up the street ..:-)

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

More useless advice excellent.

--

Reply to
upagumtreenow

No good for general tracking, but I use a joss stick around doors and windows which I want to seal better. Not entirely satisfactory, but more practical than a candle, I've found.

John

Reply to
John L

thats what i told the cops but they still confiscated my pipe mix the rotters..

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

A pro Blower Door Test is best. The guy doing mine had a good unit that measured air exchanges per day and what they should be. You can use a fan in a window but a pro test is not expensive.

Reply to
ransley