Searching for a replacement heat exchanger for a Baxi Bermuda back boiler unit

At some stage I am going to need a replacement heat exchanger for an elderly but otherwise in GWO Baxi Bermuda 45/4E BBU.

Baxi have confirmed that neither the original part (Baxi part no. 233910, GC no. 193156) or its replacement (Baxi part no. 248436, GC no. 193156, now classified as 'obsolete') are available.

I have checked with many UK heating parts suppliers who stock genuine Baxi parts. None have this part or can get hold of it.

My question is: Are there any third party manufacturers/suppliers, in the UK or abroad, who can supply a compatible part? In the past I'm sure I read that there were Chinese manufacturers of Baxi compatible parts but I have not managed find any references for this particular part.

Many thanks Tom

Ps. Before anyone comments, I know that BBUs are less efficient than modern wall mounted condensing boilers. Pps. The email address in the header is just a spam-trap.

Reply to
Use-Author-Supplied-Address-Header

Whilst I can empathise with keeping an old any trusty appliance going, when it comes to the Baxi Bermuda I really do think it’s time to thank it for its long years of service and sling it in a skip (when it dies). That or turn it into an “installation” in Tate Modern.

Do you plan to replace the heat exchanger yourself? Even if you do manage to find a Chinese heat exchanger you might well find it difficult to find a fitter who will fit a heat exchanger to such an obsolete boiler.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Wow - I think this is the same Baxi Bermuda back boiler that we have...

I am not looking forward to it giving up the ghost, but I am *definitely* not planning to replace it like-for-like...

J^n

Reply to
jkn

There are companies that make HXes & could copy yours. I doubt any uk company would do it, someone in shenzhen surely would. Indeed mfr of some types of HX is not difficult. The legal ramifications are beyond me, that's for you to find out about.

Reply to
Animal

Can be worth checking with these folks - they seem to have a reasonably regular flow of recon parts:

John Rumm

By way of example the 248436 is a 26 fin heat exchanger and new will cost £5-600.

While it is admirable to effect a repair, the economics of running an old boiler, plus the cost of this part assuming you can get it, makes it a no-brainer to upgrade to a more modern boiler.

Reply to
Fredxx

Ratther less than that? -

And I had a measure (in sense I was given an instant refund when a part didn't work) of success with pulls on ebay.

Maybe. After the logic board I'd have thought the heat exchanger was the only £100 plus component?

Reply to
RJH

I would agree, although the one we had was located in the chimney breast in the living room. Installing a regular boiler would have meant moving it (to an outside wall, likely in the kitchen), re-piping the heating and gas to get there, and then doing something with the gaping hole in the fireplace. (potentially adding a gas fire if you used that function)

That's a lot more work than just replacing a heat exchanger.

Another thought would be, if you're going to have to relocate the boiler anyway, it might be worth looking at a heat pump. It might be say 2x disruption compared to moving the boiler, but the unit can go outside which might give you more options compared with a boiler that needs to be inside.

I agree with not throwing good money after bad though. If I were the OP, since the boiler is still working, I'd probably be planning my next move - which would likely mean something more substantial than trying to source a heat exchanger to keep the old girl staggering along.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

There are boilers designed for external installation as well...

Reply to
John Rumm

Theo <theom+ snipped-for-privacy@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote: : Fredxx snipped-for-privacy@spam.invalid wrote: : > By way of example the 248436 is a 26 fin heat exchanger and new will : > cost ?5-600. : > : > While it is admirable to effect a repair, the economics of running an : > old boiler, plus the cost of this part assuming you can get it, makes it : > a no-brainer to upgrade to a more modern boiler.

[...]

My thanks to everyone who followed-up. There were some useful pointers.

I'll check out

My main problem with a wall mounted condensing boiler is that there is nowhere it could be installed without significantly spoiling the room it would have to go in, probably the kitchen. As you suggest there is a lot more work, plumbing involved. The built-in obsolescence of modern boilers also irritates me. Our current one must be about 50 years old. No modern condensing one is going to even get close to that!

It is pity that Baxi discontinued their 'HE' BBU which would have been something at least worth considering.

The BG engineer who serviced it said the heat exchanger had a tiny leak and that at some stage it will fail. The trouble is I don't have any idea when. Unfortunately I was out at work when he came (due to BG's admin mistake) so did not get a chance to see where the leak was myself and ask him about it.

I am not even very sure of the construction of this particular HE, from photos on suppliers websites and the engineering drawings on Baxi's website. It appears to consist of two (upper and lower) cast iron sections held together with bolts. I read elsewhere that some kind of gaskets may be involved in sealing the two sections together, and that any leaks would be more likely in/around the gaskets (which presumably can be replaced?) rather than in the the cast iron sections. I've really no idea though. I would be interested to know if anyone has taken one of these apart or has seen one close up.

Cheers Tom

: Theo

Ps. The email address in the header is just a spam-trap.

Reply to
Use-Author-Supplied-Address-Header

Yes, I have seen people have external oil fueleld boilers..

How do they prevent these from freezing & springing a leak during cold snaps when not running?

Reply to
SH

In general in cold snaps they *are* running. I believe its something to to with 'Fizzix'.

And they are in insulated housings...and have quite a lot of thermal mass.

How do you stop your house, which is after all outside, from freezing in a 'cold snap'?

Oh, and of course they have frost stats and will fire up very occasionally ...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Maybe outside mounting is worth considering? Relatively rare for gas boilers here but it seemed to be he normally in New Zealand.

I think the chances of it being “just a leaking gasket” are slim. You also have the problem of extracting it, stripping it down and then potentially finding it unrepairable and impossible to return to service leaving you with no heating.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I don't really want to encourage throwing good money after bad, but I do note that, before it was condemned due to corrosion, our old (circa 2000) oil boiler had seen prior welding to the flue baffles (which are I think a crude heat exchanger). It seems it is possible to weld cast iron:

and perhaps that would be a route to repair the heat exchanger. The oil boiler engineer who serviced didn't seem to think this kind of welding repair was out of the ordinary, so perhaps people who maintain oil boilers know how to do it.

Although if it's corroded then you may find the current leak is the tip of the iceberg...

Theo

Reply to
Theo

So in summary you've no idea whether you need a new HX. Find out if it leaks, and if it does tell us its construction. Leaks are fixable many ways.

Reply to
Animal

My mum had hers in the airing cupboard, flue up through the roof, and condensate drain under the floorboards to ourside.

A lot of chimneybreasts are also on the outside walls too.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

You are going to struggle with this. You say its in good condition, yet if its deteriorated enough for a leak in the heat exchanger, it isn't.

Whilst these things can be repaired, won't you need to find a GasSafe registered fitter to do the work? I am not sure any one would want to do this and certify it as "safe" ...

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

Brazing more common?

Reply to
Andy Burns

depends on strength and temperatures required. Brazing's ok for boiling water, but hot flue gases? Not so sure.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Maybe not, seems to require cherry red heat to do the brazing, I doubt a back boiler gets that hot unless it's boiled dry? The old coke-burning pot-belly stoves at school did.

The other technique I've seen is stitch-welding, probably good for repairing mechanical strength, but maybe also unsuitable if it needs to be gas tight?

Reply to
Andy Burns