Boiler Choice

I have a standard mains gas boiler ..... Baxi Barcelona
Considering changing this, need 30kW heat output ...... an option would be Worcester Greenstar 30Ri or the 8000Life
Though could just get another Baxi .... 430 or 630 HEAT
Is the Worcester worth 25%+ premium ? ...... I know it is 4% more efficient
On 24/03/2020 16:17, rick wrote:

I had a WB Greenstar 24Si fitted 6months back replacing a 31yr old Potterton Netaheat Electronic 16-22. Had the dudes fit a WB Filter at the same time which gives me a 10 year parts & labour warranty as long as I have it serviced to WB standards every year.
Expensive but it is a lot smaller than the Potterton and stunningly quiet in operation. Having a pressurised CH system has fixed the never ending airlocks I had before. All rads get hot all of the time!
On 24/03/2020 16:26, mm0fmf wrote:

Quick look (not best price) Baxi 630 is around £930 Worcester 8000 Life is around £1190
On 24/03/2020 20:04, rick wrote:

Worcester and Vaillant generally regarded as best for reliability.
On Tuesday, 24 March 2020 21:16:22 UTC, newshound wrote:

In the same way that VW cars are generaly regarded as being reliable. That's the power of marketing.
On 25/03/2020 10:10, David wrote:

But VW (VAG) cars aren't regarded as reliable. And it's years and years since "if only everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagen" or "very tough as old boots" were marketing phrases.
Certainly wont be as bad as the Ferrolli that was in my son's house.
On Wednesday, 25 March 2020 11:22:01 UTC, mm0fmf wrote:

That's the power of marketing.

It's difficult to buy a truly bad new car these days, just as it's difficul t to buy a truly bad boiler. Pretty much all cars and pretty much all boil ers are fine.
I think most people do regard VW cars as reliable, which is fair enough bec ause they are. I think they're no more reliable than an average car though .
The same is true for WB boilers. They're OK, the widely-published adverts say how great they are, and they are backed by a huge fleet of service and repair technicians :)
For someone who wants a boiler that is above average reliability, due to it s inherent design, an InterGas is the one to go for. See a current thread here, for example: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/new-boiler-choice.541 487/ UK-built, too. But you won't see many InterGas repair vans driving a round, and their marketing budget can't approach the size of Worcester Bosc h's...

If they're that great why do they need a huge fleet of back up people?
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On 25/03/2020 15:21, charles wrote:

Stop teasing. You know WB would need a huge fleet if even just in 1 in 100 of their boilers went wrong each year but they had 10,000,000 installed. Just as you'd probably never see an Intergas van if 1 in 20 went wrong each year but they only had 10,000 installed. (And then there's the question if Intergas even have staff or contractors with branded vans.)
Of course there's also the fact that for some reason Intergas don't do well in Which? surveys of reliability.
--
Robin

Be interesting to know the average lifespan and number of breakdowns etc. Saving a few quid on purchase costs may be poor value if it need lots of repairs and early replacement.
That's the sort of data Which should be able to get from its members.
--
*When you've seen one shopping centre you've seen a mall*