BMC A series thermostat etc

It's a complex/expensive way to let you know the tank is near empty. I guess it dates from the days before dashboard fuel gauges were widespread.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes. And still quite common on motorbikes long after most car makers had abandoned it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I thought the usual way with motorbikes was to have separate pipes to either lobe of the tank (which straddled the crossbar), with a three position lever designated 'off', 'main' and 'reserve'. (Though the distinction between 'main' and 'reserve' was arbitrary as the tank is symmetrical; the reason that the main tank contains more fuel is that it effectively includes the common area above the crossbar.)

Reply to
Max Demian

Was the Triumph one that sophisticated? I thought it was just a higher section in the tank that when you operated the lever it just drained that into the main tank, normally when filling this compartment was already full and just overflowed into the main section..

GH

Reply to
Marland

harry <

There?s at least one in or near the West Midlands that has a dipstick in it.

GH

Reply to
Marland

And a weird nut behind the steering wheel.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher