BMC A series thermostat etc

I?ve used a similar mixture but using granulated sugar instead of the sand, Has the advantage that it washes away cleanly down the plug hole and dissolves in hot water. I would have thought sand would soon scratch any sink/basin when you came to clean it and the risk that a lot of it may clog up the plumbing.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Then, all you have to do is to get rid of the smell of the diesel!

Reply to
Roger Mills

I'd personally not use those, had one fail just after fitting, Romoving the water pump is a pain, but so is losing all the coolant :-/

Reply to
Chris Bartram

On 13/04/2018 09:41, Huge wrote: [snip]

Noise reduction. Surprisingly effective on diesels IME.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

As I posted above, I had the concertina type fail on me after a water pump replacement on a Mini, so had to take it all apart again to fit a proper one.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

To be honest. most washing up liquids contain microbeads that act as a very fine scouring agent..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thats what swarfega smelt of anyway.

Just fondle yer balls and replace it with the smell of Thrush...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Marland writes

'Back in the day' we used to use a mixture of washing up liquid and whatever washing powder was in the cupboard. Tide, OMO etc. Good for cleaning, but probably not terribly good for the skin.

Reply to
Graeme

Likewise. Even at best had a much shorter life than the plain ones. Makes sense if you think about it.

Think if a new standard one was fitted each time the pump was replaced (or head lifted) they'd not normally fail in service. But people do try and penny pinch. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You either use odd diesel odd Swarfega...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Last new car I drove was so noise controlled that I couldn't hear the engin e properly. No clue what rpm it was doing. But that's new cars all over, a load of extra crap that costs money that I've zero interest in buying.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Oh, OK, thanks.

I sold my diesel car some 30 months ago and will never be buying another.

Reply to
Huge

ISTR, on a Mini at least, the head needs to come off if you're not using a compressible hose? I remember looking at the concertina type and thinking 'nope'.

Reply to
RJH

You can remove the water pump to change it. Up to you whether that is more fiddly on a Mini.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can drop the whole front subframe (or rather leave it in place, and lift the body off) for better access to the fiddly bits of a Mini. But there's loads of space to get at everything on a Moggy Minor.

Reply to
Rob Morley

A question I've occasionally asked myself while lying under a car on Sunday evening, when I'll need it to drive to work on Monday morning.

Reply to
Rob Morley

In message , Rob Morley writes

I think we've all been there, in days of yore :-)

Luckily, this Traveller is fun only, so no deadlines. The parts having arrived, and the sun shining this morning I changed the heater control and fitted the new bottom hose, and went for a run. So far, so good ...

One day, I'll look at the fuel gauge, which reads permanently empty.

Reply to
Graeme

BTDT, too. Replacing the thermostat on a 3 litre Capri, in the road, in the dark and pissing rain, when I'll need it to drive to work on Monday morning.

Fortunately, those days are over.

Reply to
Huge

Does it have a "reserve" setting on the tank? My Triumph Vitesse (Herald) did, together with a manual priming lever on the fuel pump.

Reply to
Rob Morley

That was very much a triumph thing. Never on a moggy tho .

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher