Bloomin' cheap Jigsaw!

Masonary bits didn't become common until electric drills did - they'd be a waste of time in a hand drill anyway, on anything other than the softest stone. They're designed to be used with a hammer action.

Rawltool. Most used one piece ones - a different one for different Rawlplugs and therefore screws. Faster than a brace and bit, and more effective in hard brick or stone.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You are brainwashed. You are a saddo too. The unions were blamed for everything by the right wing press. The Wicked Witch got rid of most of it and the country still kept declining and the standard of living for the average man went down. So it wasn't unions after all.

Anyone with common sense can see that.

Reply to
IMM

You don't know much do you?

Reply to
IMM

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 23:22:15 +0100, "IMM" strung together this:

And your point is that using the incorrect tool for cutting the type of pipe on site isn't the way to go, hang on a minute......

Reply to
Lurch

Using a hacksaw is perfectly OK. There are just quicker and better ways of doing it. Do you understand that?

Reply to
IMM

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 02:12:18 +0100, "IMM" strung together this:

But you just said that cutting pipe with anythiing other than wheel cutter is what brought this countries industries to a grinding halt.

Reply to
Lurch

If you are only taking 1/4'' from the bottom of a door why not just use the power plane?

Reply to
andyd

I used a handsaw (Stanley Jet Cut) to take 1/4" off the bottom of my pine kitchen door, and also used it to cut the edges of the kitchen worktop. Both fine. Ironically, you can usually get away with a jigsaw on sink-holes and hob-holes, as there is a lip which covers slight deviations. This is what I did and it was fine.

I have no doubt that a decent router would do a better job in these situations, but I don't have one and didn't have any time to practice at the time.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Did that with one door already - and it took most of the morning. The plane only takes about 1mm off at a time, nicely. If you up it to the maximum 1.6mm it gets tricky to keep the thing square, especially when you hit the end-grain at each vertical. Not only that, but unless I'm missing a trick, the plane doesn't work properly once the lead shoe is off the wood. As this happens 8 or 10mm before the blade this can lead to some interesting effects at the extreme edges of the door.

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

Not using the latest tools and technology and being obsessed withy the past. That was obvious to people with common sense.

Reply to
IMM

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 14:38:17 +0100, "IMM" strung together this:

So now it's one plumber, who unfortunately knew you, (who knows nothing about tools and professionalism), who couldn't keep up with the latest technologies who brought down the British industrial empire, not because he was using a hacksaw and not a wheeled pipe cutting tool........ Interesting. Wonder what the next excuse will be.......

Reply to
Lurch

Even the diy incompetent had them then, so I cant imagine IMM's vision of the trades not being able to afford them. Nearly all the ones from then I've seen are B&Ds for some reason. They go for next to nothing now and are handy to avoid endless bit changing - as I found _after_ I made that special bit. :) Only thing I dont like about them is putting your hand round the metal case - having drilled straight through live wire before now, as we all do eventually. But for woodwork theyre fine.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

As I think I mentioned, I've got an early orange plastic case one - and that's double insulated. Dates from the early '70s. But if a metal cased one is properly earthed, drilling through a live cable shouldn't present a health threat - apart from heart failure through surprise, of course.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, one plumber brought down the British Empire. One painter and decorator nearly ended the UK too.

Reply to
IMM

No. 1979.

I know, that is what I said, and that is why they all started to use them. Where do they come from? Duh!

Reply to
IMM

Mmm, winter of discontent anyone? I don't recall the tories being in power when that happened.

In the end the unions did us a favour, helping maggie get elected for some much needed union bashing :)

Fortunately we have the tube drivers to remind us what good unions are (not).

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Hi,

Just clamp a piece of longer scrap wood to the bottom of the door and plane them both.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

But it's unlikely anybody here regards themselves as the "average man" anymore. We have all become individuals and if we want something we go out and earn it.

Reply to
G&M

A few strikes blow up to high heaven by the right wing press. The economy was stable and well with unemployment low when the Witch took power, which wasn't the case when they left.

You are a fool. If you are from a working class background, a gross fool.

Unfortunately we have private companies to remind us of greed and incompetence.

Reply to
IMM

What are you prattling about? Such tripe!

Reply to
IMM